Okay, I'll bite. What's the Kool-Aid for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

princessaprilia

Contributor
Reaction score
snowbound Canadian fortress, AKA Regina, SK
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm sure I'm going to feel like a :dork2: once I get the answer, but...

What does all the scuba reference to Kool-Aid mean?

I have spent the last 2 hrs searching this board, and then just google searching. Lots of people say they are going to drink or not going to drink Kool-Aid. But no one says where this kool-aid is, what it's for, how it helps, regular or sugar-free, flavor, nothing.

:confused:

As a scuba reference, it's generally used in relation to DIR, but it's an expression not limited to scuba. It generally means "listen and act according to what someone else is telling you to do without thinking for yourself." The source of the phrase is, as mentioned, the Jonestown massacre.

Drinking the kool-aid in the context of diving refers to becoming indoctrinated into the DIR philosophy of diving.

DIR means Do It Right, which by it's very name implies that if you don't "Do It Right" then you "Do It Wrong"....

Which without saying much more about it gives you a pretty good idea of the tone of the discussions.... The Kool-aid and non- Kool-aid drinkers have discussions that regularly (although this has really mellowed out in the last 10 years or so) reach boiling points....

Points that can be described as "tectonic" "volcanic" and "earthquake like".

In reality the discussion is more about details than fundamentals and isn't likely to change the world but people, being what they are, will "drink the kool-aid" and blow it up into something bigger than it is.

R..

Well, I'm speechless.

That was completely not what I thought. I figured that the Kool-Aid was used as a dye to check for leaks in a regulator, or something similar.

Thanks for helping me with that one.

That would probably be a better use for it ...

... that's one reason I really enjoy being around new divers ... fresh perspectives to stale issues ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm just posting to see if I can get a thanks from princessaprilia.

I'm just posting to see if I can get a thanks from princessaprilia.

:rofl3: You are always the rascal Jeff.

I guess only the princess can thank you, but how about a little Koolaid while you wait :D

:rofl3: You are always the rascal Jeff.

I guess only the princess can thank you, but how about a little Koolaid while you wait :D

Had the koolaid a few yrs ago. I'm doomed now.

Back
Top Bottom