Okay, I'm certified. How best to improve? Classes? Clubs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a strong advocate of not taking another class until you've had adequate in-water time to become comfortable with the things you learned in the last one.

The way Bob phrased it, I completely agree. (He's one of the smart ones around here.) But, in general, that is not my attitude. Aren't opinions wonderful :)

I'm new to diving, but scuba isn't my first hobby. What has worked well for me is to take a lot of classes early on so that I don't learn bad habits. I find several of the best instructors around, and I sign up for classes from them, often the exact same class, and try to do everything exactly the way they teach it. When they teach something different I will ask "I've seen some people [whatever.] Why do you do it this way?" That way I'm learning the reasons behind the procedures and get a feel for their judgement and decision making. Once I'm out of the classes I can put together what I think will work for me.

My technique might not work as well with scuba because the quality of teaching is universally pretty low. I didn't feel like I learned much in my OW or either AOW classes. A lot of time when I ask "Why do you do it that way?" the answer is "It is easier to teach that way."

I found a good instructor and hired him for private lessons. I told him I wanted to learn buoyancy and trim and anything else he thought I should know. That was a fantastic experience, and cheap. After a few hours in the pool I was doing the basic skills midwater without moving more than ten inches or so. I even removed and donned my BCD midwater. That was a lot harder since all the weight was integrated. It certainly taught me the importance of splitting your weight between the BCD and your body. I am dramatically better because of the private lessons.

I would encourage you to seek out private instruction as well. The certifications don't really matter, it is the instruction. Find someone, or some people, to do a few half days with you going over the basics of buoyancy, trim, finning, etc. That way once you get out in the ocean you will be practicing good technique. I wouldn't be able to practice shooting a SMB and hovering at every safety stop if nobody had showed me how; I would still be holding onto the anchor line.

There are other threads on how to find a good instructor. But most people just want to certified and the market follows the demand. I doubt you will find many good shop classes. Check out your local schools. And GUE, of course. I'm looking forward to fundies. I'd be signed up for the next one in my area, but I'm going to be out of town :-(

Have fun.

I love the idea of private lessons. As far as looking for "classes", I didn't really mean more certs- I'm talking more like practical diving classes on what to work on in my own diving. Like a group lesson for kids learning violin- everybody is working on a set group of basic skills but they each have their own habits to be working on and there is a teacher to help them pinpoint areas to improve. Maybe something along the lines of an underwater obstacle course, or list of skills to complete.

I can probably do a lot of that by just diving often, as you all are pointing out. The thing is that every dive is a whole new world for me just now. I suppose once I get set up in a dry suit and then get comfy in one of my local dive spots, I can get to a point where I can chill out and take aim on improving in general.

I am definitely interested in some local connections and will run with many of these ideas. Thanks again, all.

Another thing to offer: Check out the 5thD-X videos on YouTube for some good examples of good technique, and read ALL the articles on Gareth Burrows' site: Contents Even if you aren't interested in DIR diving, there is a TON of good information here, well written and well presented.

You can't improve if you don't know what you are trying to improve TOWARD . . .

Lots of great advice given but one thing I'd mention is something you can do:-

Always, always keep your mind open to the big picture which is

*********** Diving is fun and practice what you need to, to keep it fun ***********

Invest a little time in seeking out people who you enjoy diving with.

My advice, Dive, Dive, Dive. Find some gear that will work for you. Don't get hung up on the fancy stuff. Find gear that works. Mismatched gear is fine, if it does the job. I dive in Alaska with a 8mm semi-dry suit for shorter dives. When I took my advanced certificate years ago one of the divers used a 7mm farmer john and it was -20f at the time. He said he was fine. Practice makes perfect.

As far as looking for "classes", I didn't really mean more certs- I'm talking more like practical diving classes... Maybe something along the lines of an underwater obstacle course, or list of skills to complete.

I would love something like that, but I certainly haven't found it, at least not in the SF Bay area. I have heard of some OW classes doing obstacle courses and "zen drills" (motionless lotus position to work on buoyancy,) but nothing outside a certification class. The certification requirements limit what the class can cover.

I wonder if a dive club could put together interest for something less class-like and more pure fun*. We don't spend enough time in the pool, IMO. If anyone knows of something like that, PLEASE contact me. We used to do cone rodeos and skillz drillz with my MC club. I enjoyed those more than riding.

What about asking the GUE teacher for some private instruction? I would bet he/she would teach DIR style/quality skills without requiring you to go all-in with their gear setup. GUE certification not only requires you to drink the KoolAid, they make you bring (at least) a thousand bucks worth to the first session.

* I bet a skills brainstorming thread would come up with some fun ideas. My first nebulous idea is something around an underwater tea party. Chairs tethered a few inches off the bottom with a couple pounds positive buoyancy. Four people at a time have a tea party that involves some skills. Last person to sink the chair or float off it wins the round. Maybe invert the table and pour "air tea." I don't know. I'm not that creative.)

[Edited to add content. I have been thinking about this a lot since the quick reply from my phone.]

Last edited:
Think of any cert as a learners permit. You need to practice and perfect what you were exposed to before attempting to take further steps. Limit task load to one thing at a time - first weighting, once that is perfected move on to trim, after that ... You get the idea. No need to hurry. Work on your skills till they are second nature. Then move on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom