Oklahoma fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
If this is in the wrong thread I ask that it be placed in the appropriate thread in advance. But here is the story........

Oklahoma (in the United States) has been devistated by a severe winter blizzard this past week. Among them was a young mother who was a mere 20 years of age. Her name was Carissa Kelm. Though I dont know Carissa personaly I have a story that should tear any one apart hearing it.

Carissa was reportedly on a sled (on the snow) being towed behind a vehicle. Though I am not sure what the speed was at the time the vehicle apparently made a turn and when it did it left enough momentum for Carissa to slide off the road and hit some sort of Guard rail or post I am not sure exactly which one. Since it was just her and the sled her injuries were severe enough that she passed away as a result.

Her story then made headlines when a church known as the Westboro Baptist Church located somewhere in Kansas (United States) decided to protest at or near her funeral. The protest had nothing to do with the fact she passed away or any thing to do with the events before during or after the accident. They were instead as quoted by the church protesting that she died as a result of Americas embracing of homosexuality.

Can you imagine the impact that it had on the family of Carissa to have to attend a funeral and know that not far away was a group of people using her tragedy to get their views out?

They have protested in the past at military funerals and even planned on (Dont know if they did or not) protesting at the funeral of a 9 year old who died as a result of a gunshot at a political event.

Anyway that is the story and more can be found at Westboro Baptist Church Pickets Moore Funeral - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |

Last edited:
I heard about this from a coworker in OKC.

The idea behind the church proclaiming this is extremely disturbing to me. In my opinion the members of this so called church are members of a cult and are not christian in their beliefs. This statement from the church is not in any way shape or form "Christian".

These people fly the banner of Freedom of speech wrapped up Freedom of religion to proclaim despicable and ignorant BS

Back
Top Bottom