Old air in tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you guys for real... Just dive it... Not a thing wrong with it...

Jim...

@Steve_C I actually have a specially made tank shaker for tanks that have sat a while... it is a very simple design and I am more then willing to sell you the plans... normally $99.99... but for a fellow scubaboard friend... $99.98. But don't tell anyone about the deal I am giving you!!! Otherwise everyone will want it!

I would dive it without any hesitation at all, but I would re-analyze it. That's free and takes less than a minute.

The tank is NOT in violation of any law or even industry standard. It just can't be re-filled without an inspection. If it's an AL tank, oxidation is very very unlikely to be an issue, and the fact that it's nitrox probably decreases the likelihood of a wet fill.

We have some real nervous nellies around here.....it's not like it's prehistoric air found in an ancient tomb.

I agree, test for Nx and if its the same use it, then if out of test get it tested and go diving again. I have tanks sitting for a period as I have 15 tanks and simply test before use, regardless of the fill time. Thats what I would do anyway, but if you are nervous, rush down and get it tested and dump the gas, after all its up to you.

If you have ever dived places like Thailand then you have probably dived with aluminium tanks that have not been washed let alone inspected or tested for 10 years and constantly pumped with salty air from boat compressors. I dont condone this at all, but it clearly shows that the risks are a lot less than many would have us believe, otherwise there would be continual accidents and deaths there. The tanks can take quite a lot of abuse (sadly). I could ramble on about vested interests but thats been done to death before. So when you start thinking about testing etc, keep it into perspective, rather than "if you dont follow our regulations you WILL DIE". In OZ we hydro yearly, in USA every 5 years, and whats the difference? apart for someone making a lot of money, we still have tank failures in OZ.

Anyway your money, I know what I would do.

So when you start thinking about testing etc, keep it into perspective, rather than "if you dont follow our regulations you WILL DIE". In OZ we hydro yearly, in USA every 5 years, and whats the difference? apart for someone making a lot of money, we still have tank failures in OZ.
Anyway your money, I know what I would do.
When my brother told me about this, I thought what a waste of money. Every yr he has to go through the same process diligently otherwise he won't be able to have them filled.
What is the LAW regarding on transporting and storing compressed gas in OZ? In HK every dive operator is breaking the law!!!!!

Wait what? Are you thinking it's going to implode when breathing from it? :confused:

No the problem is with complacency, when the basics become 'grey' you are on a slippery slope. But hey, if the "internet" is prepared to dive a 18 month old cylinder them it must be good. Why even bother analysing the gas, what could possibly happen in 18 months?

The last fill was in Aug '15, I would love to know the date of the last vis/hydro on the cylinder in question.

Last edited:
No the problem is with complacency, when the basics become 'grey' you are on a slippery slope. But hey, if the "internet" is prepared to dive a 18 month old cylinder them it must be good. Why even bother analysing the gas, what could possibly happen in 18 months?

What training tells you that air 18 months old is bad. If it tests then its fine. I dont think anyone is saying dont test, I would say, if it tests fine then dive it. If it doesnt or you are not comfortable then dont. But just because its 18 months old doesnt mean its poison and nore does it mean that because it was pumped yesterday that its fine. I test all my gas regardless of its content for O2 and CO2

The last fill was in Aug '15, I would love to know the date of the last vis/hydro on the cylinder in question.

This has nothing to do with complacency. We hydro and VIP because tanks can and do blow up when filling them, not because "air goes bad".

@Peter69_56 , I suspect you meant to say testing for CO and not CO2 ?

Back
Top Bottom