OLD Aqualung Calypso....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duca

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about these regs?

I happened upon one in a lot of "scuba-junk" that just had to be mine at the asking price.

What are the two rubber "flappy things" with snaps on them near the mouth piece?

Duca,
I had an old Calypso (with a J valve, no less), and there were no flaps or snaps like you described. However, if memory serves (and it may not-25 + years is a long time)- I recall seeing something like what you described on a few similar regs in use in classes, on boats, etc.-(of course, I had to ask about them) and the guys who had them claimed a variety of functions: for hooking the reg on its own hose (forming a loop)when out of the water- or to attach it to the "new fangled" BCs ; to use to attach the reg to the "other half "of the snap on a hood (never saw the other half, though); and one guy had no idea what they were for,- but loved the way the reg. breathed !?
If you get a better, clear explanation, I'd love to hear it.
Old gear always seems to crop up in the strangest places.
Good luck, Miked

Duca,
The "flappy" things were to be attached to a strap that went around your neck in case you dropped the reg. Very much like the tekkies' lanyard in use today. The HP seat for that reg is gonna be really difficult to find for an overhaul, and other parts as well. This is a reg that probably should go on dispay on your wall. Be aware if you insist on trying to use it, that there was at one time a recall that remedied a dangerous engineering defect on one Calypso model, I forget which one. Polish it, mount it on the wall!
Neil

Neil.. yeah, it looks like a relic, alright!.... I'll have to come up with a good story about how I came to have it hanging there, though.

Funny how the neck straps - bungee necklace have gone round full circle since the early days. (rubber strap thingies were in use from the '50s thru into the '70s, went out of vogue & have been resurrected in the form of the bungee necklace)
I see one of the more "popular" ways to rig a necklace involves zip tying the bungee right onto the mouthpiece, almost guaranteeing you'll strip the mouthpiece off the reg if ya get snagged up on something. At least the "obsolete" straps had the snaps as a built in failure point.

If you want to go bonkers & try to rebuild the reg, I've probably got a service manual around here someplace in PDF format.

Duca

I have one of those old calypso's with the funny straps. I figured they had to do with some sort of full face mask setup, but the neck staps make more sense. Mine came from a buddie's, uncle,s friend.....if that makes sense in writing. Seems simple and tough, but I've been warry of using it. If I remember correctly without digging it out, it has one HP port and LP port, but I could be wrong.

Cheers

Originally posted by Bob3
I see one of the more "popular" ways to rig a necklace involves zip tying the bungee right onto the mouthpiece, almost guaranteeing you'll strip the mouthpiece off the reg if ya get snagged up on something. At least the "obsolete" straps had the snaps as a built in failure point.

Just curious Bob, how would you do it?

ID

If you like bungee cord, there's a nice set of pics here: http://www.northeastdir.com/images/pages/necklaceclose.htm

1/8" dia will produce the best results.

I like rubber tubing where the ends overlap and are secured making a fixed pocket similar to the one pictured. Ends are secured by whipping with waxed twine or zip ties. Make sure the pocket is small 'nuff to hold the mouth tube securely.
Rubber tubing can get away with being pulled out from under a zip tie on the mouthpiece, but bungee cord doesn't fare as well, often dislodging the mouthpiece if yanked hard.
Keep the rubber out of the sun & it'll give several years of good service. UV & ozone will degrade it within a few months otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom