Old(er) dude in central Florida takes up diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J322Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all. Prepare for dumb questions that have been answered 10,000 times! :p

No really, I promise to use the search function first....

I've been fascinated by underwater life since I was a kid. Been dating a long time diver for 5 years and finally decided to join her underwater. :wink:

I was hooked the first time I drew a breath through a regulator. Didn't matter that I was in an indoor pool...

Even though I'm new to diving I came up with an analogy for sharing the experience with non-diver friends who wonder why I got so into it so quickly. Please tell me if I captured the feeling:

Imagine that you're out hiking in nature. There are interesting plants and animals to see, many of which are beautiful, and some which can also be dangerous. You brought binoculars to see birds up close, and maybe a few large apex predators in the distance, hopefully not too close. Now imagine you're underwater where there is also a wide variety of flora and fauna, however now you can get relatively close to the animals. Instead of hundreds of meters between you and large predators there might only be a few meters or even less. Instead of hoping to catch a glimpse of exotic birds hiding in the trees, you enjoy beautiful fish and other swimming creatures all around you, often close enough to touch (not that you should). Maybe this explains why nature lovers, who are willing to breathe bottled air, go to great lengths to get underwater, where humans rarely go.

howdy and welcome from your southeast Florida neighbor......yes very good...now dive dive dive.

Last edited:
Thanks iamrushman. No worries about me diving a lot! In the past 3 weeks I dived Blue Heron Bridge twice and Blue Springs yesterday. This Thursday and Friday I'll be diving in Key Largo. Already checking the tide chart for BHB the week after that. Definitely got the bug.

welcome to the addiction. I'll extend an invite to visit the Vero Beach Scuba Club on Facebook. We dive a lot and anyone is welcome to join us on a dive!
anytime you want to dive in Jupiter or Palm Beach just let me know. We run the most experienced captains and crews in South Florida.

Thanks for the invitation sheeper, I'll take you up on the offer soon.

Hello J322Y and welcome to diving! I'm like you in that I had been wanting to dive for many years and just never had the chance to take it up. I'm pretty much land-locked in my corner of the state and have long cold winters and cold waters to deal with. I finally decided a couple of years ago that it was time to give it a shot and was instantly hooked after taking my first breath through the regulator. Just like you. Anyway, I hope you get in lots of great dives through all of your adventures and that you post some of your stories and experiences on here for us all to enjoy. Dive safe and have fun!

Thanks ram. I've enjoyed vacationing in Maine, especially Baxter park. Do you do lake dives? I feel guilty for having so much warm water near me!

Thanks ram. I've enjoyed vacationing in Maine, especially Baxter park. Do you do lake dives? I feel guilty for having so much warm water near me!
We do have a lot of beautiful places to visit, hike and so forth. As for diving the local lakes, I have only just within the past 2 weeks been to Nickerson Lake. Visibility was at about 20 feet and a very noticeable temperature drop beyond the 20 feet depth. But with the proper equipment, no problem.
My dive buddy that has been diving that lake for several years just left for Bonaire for a few months and it looks like my diving up here is done for this year. We will have to tackle that lake and others a little more often next summer.

I feel guilty for having so much warm water near me!
I forgot to mention that I will be back in the lower Orlando area in another 4 weeks for vacation. And definitely, some diving will be included.

ram, let me know if you want a few buddies. My girlfriend is a seasoned diver and we might be able find some free time. Blue Heron Bridge is about 2.5 hours from Orlando, and it's great for new divers. 15 ft at the deepest, and it's a shore dive. There are several threads here about bhb, and also some good stuff on youtube.

*My gf likes holding the float/flag! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom