Old Eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Sea Vision with the -2.0 gauge readers ground in. After I went to monovision with my contacts, I can see my gauges ok now with any mask. I was never wild about prescription masks - expensive and you're blind while it's off.

Based on feedback I got via PM on this board, I got in touch with Scubatoys and explained that I wanted a dive computer with large digital numbers, economically priced, and simple to operate. He recommended the Aeris Atmos and I love it....not only is the main display easy to read but the critical functions are colorcoded. The price was right too!

mattboy:
I think the TUSA IQ-700 DC hunter is exactly the same computer as the Dive-rite duo; they certainly look the same. WarmWaterDiver, would you say the display on the TUSA DC hunter is as readable as the IQ-800? I'll browse the links you posted and see what the catalogues say.

No way - the IQ-800 has 1/2" tall letters according to Scubatoys, the IQ-700 has smaller letters than that.

There are definite similarities between the TUSA IQ-700, Dive Rite NiTek Duo, Apeks Quantum, and Cressi-Sub Archimede, but no two are quite 'the same computer' from what I can see regarding specific variant of algorithm used and number of tissue compartments with one exception - the TUSA IQ-700 and Apeks Quantum might have identical algorithm variants and number of tissue compartments.

The TUSA IQ-700 comes with a 2 year warranty vs. the Dive Rite 1 year warranty as well, and seems to enjoy significant pricing flexibility for on-line sales.

Also, there have been a lot of posts on trouble with Dive Rite NiTek Duo units as well as Apeks Quantum units this year - but none on similar problems with the TUSA IQ-700. From Spoon's latest thread here, looks like he's the latest case of DR NiTek Duo less-than-optimal performance.

I also recommend the Oceanic or Aeris computers for LARGE displays. I have the Versa Pro and the Atmos II and they work well. My buddy has one of the Oceanic Data Max Pro something models, and I can read his display (as long as the angle isn't bad) from quite a distance.

Wristshot

I also have over 40 eyes. I dive with the Dive Rite SPG and love it --- very easy to read even in low vis. Next month we are going to dive in Kauai and try out an Oceanic Versa, I'll let you know how that goes.

I,d get an air integrated wrist mount computer and strap it to my right foot,that will do the trick.Put special attention if the Transmitter is still in reach,peace

I too had this problem. Dove with a Tusa mask with diopter lens and worked fine for a while. Then bought new "cool" big eyes mask and had my contacts on. Worked fine until I couldn't stand how uncomfortable the big eyes mask was - bottom of nose took a beating. Then the near vision started to fuzz so had to fix this delema. Searched and searched until I finally found the perfect solution. Gauge Reader mask. Now with my contacts on and a very comfortable mask that has normal lens on the upper 75% and dioper lens (magnifier lens) on the bottom 25%. I was able to see both near and far and read my gauges with no problem. My Bro-Inlaw tried mine on and bought one immediately. His near vision is worse than mine and the diopter strength works fine for him. You may ask who makes this wonderful mask, well i'll tell you. It's an XS Scuba model MA280 Fusion2 Gauge Reader mask. Go to the XS Scuba site for details http://www.xsscuba.com/mask_gaugereader.html

It is a great solution for me.

CN

I too use reading glasses, but with my mask on underwater, I can see very clearly all my guages because water magnify objects by about 1/3.I was so thrill to discover that during my OW class 4 years ago.I still don't need glasses,after 4 years!Additionally, I also chose the Aeris Atmos 2 wrist computer because it has large numerals and is easy for "old eyes" like ours.I also have the Aeris Atmos Air Integrate computer,which has even larger numerals and icons but switch it for a OMS pressure guage instead.Both are great user friendly computers and are popular with people who need larger numerals and icons.You can also buy small magnifyying glasses that you can glue onto your mask to view your guages.It cost about $20 at my LDS.Good luck with your class.Fredi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom