Old HP 7/8 tank question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxE

Contributor
Reaction score
I have done some searching and can't easily find the answer so turning here for the collective knowledge held here.

I am trying to gather and compare the specks of two HP 100 tanks, both 7/8 neck and rated 3500 PSI. One is a PST and the other branded Genesis made by Asahi, spun steel made in Japan. The spun tank is a little taller and heavier, I believe ass heavy? My main question is buoyancy characteristics? I was not looking for more tanks but for $10 I ended up with one of each and they have both passed hydro. I have two other PST 7/8 neck tanks so have that dialed in its the spun tank I'm trying to sort out.

Thanks.

I have done some searching and can't easily find the answer so turning here for the collective knowledge held here.

I am trying to gather and compare the specks of two HP 100 tanks, both 7/8 neck and rated 3500 PSI. One is a PST and the other branded Genesis made by Ashanti, spun steel made in Japan. The spun tank is a little taller and heavier, I believe ass heavy? My main question is buoyancy characteristics? I was not looking for more tanks but for $10 I ended up with one of each and they have both passed hydro. I have two other PST 7/8 neck tanks so have that dialed in its the spun tank I'm trying to sort out.

Thanks.
"Asahi" is how they were imported. Due to the spun construction they are quite a bit heavier in the butt. They are about -4-5lbs when empty so you'll need to subtract about 3lbs from the otherwise comparable PSTs (-1.5 when empty).

for $10 I ended up with one of each and they have passed hydro

Sweet!

You nailed it, they are butt heavy tanks. They dive nice as doubles or singles if you are in cold water and need the weight. Downside is they don't really match up with any other tanks.

You can find the cylinder specifications for the PST HP 100 (Sherwood Genesis HP 100), which hold 102 cu ft at 3,500 psig, on the Huron Scuba tank specifications page.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom