Info Old, real low pressure pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Old, early 90s Lux 14 cf pony bottle (2,015# SP). Have not found much reference on these bottles, and yet, like another needed hole in the noggin, somehow find one headed my way. Anything that I should know? Or might want to know? Or useless trivia?

Good? Bad? Ugly?

OMMOHY

Old, early 90s Lux 14 cf pony bottle (2,015# SP). Have not found much reference on these bottles, and yet, like another needed hole in the noggin, somehow find one headed my way. Anything that I should know? Or might want to know? Or useless trivia?

Good? Bad? Ugly?

OMMOHY
They are kinda coveted as argon and CCR bottles. Try not to get it overfilled to 3000psi by accident, they hydro at 3350psi - if your ship will fill it at all (due to age). They were not commonly used as pony bottles in the past (low volume)

2015psi is the most common medical O2 bottle pressure so getting it hydroed etc is no big deal at all. The walls are thin so nearly any pitting is grounds for condemnation.

I have one I got either for free or cheap. Manufactured in 1993. Never had a diving use for it, so it sits in my truck emergency kit filled with O2.

if anyone is looking, I think @-JD- may have just came across some....
Well the ones I found were steels. So probably not Luxfer.

I have a one of the Luxfer ALs kinking around here. Maybe it will get used for something, someday ...

I have one made in 93, last hydro in 7/20 haven’t had any problem with it. I dont have a particular attachment to it, i got it with some other tanks one time in a deal. I use it mostly when cleaning reg sets after diving. If someone wants to trade something for it i am open.

Mine, the AL 14, came back from hydro yesterday.... Cleaning and spit polishing on it.... With help from Cindy Loo Who and the Pretty Reckless.... You'll think I got on the time-shift scooter and went back 32 years and pulled it new off the LDS showroom floor (unless you know exactly where to look. Well, that and a 03/23 hydro stamp... Will show in a bit. Just a couple more coats of carnuba wax and a new VIP.... GTG.)

Anyhow, two orphaned AL80s followed us home from the fire extinguisher company... One is 30, the other is 20 years old. I looked, hydro'ed back in 06/21 and left. Unclaimed. No visible corrosion on the outside, just some minor scuffs or paint scratches. One of the valves is kinda boogered with the stem snapped clean at the valve body (judging from other boogering to the valve body I'd say likely dropped...); the other valve is a K valve. I only use pro vlaves from Blue Steel (pony) and Thermo (bigger bottles) as half of my reg sets are DIN... I offered that whatever shop dropped them off almost two years ago ain't coming back for them. Guy asked the manager and they came home with me for fiddy bux with just over 3 years remaining on the hydros.... Got em home, pulled the valves, and stuck an inspection light deep inside and peered into their souls. I am guessing brighter, cleaner and shinier than most brand-fracking-new bottles.... Gimme a few days to clean em up and let me slap on one of them there VIPper stickers and two damn near new 20-30 year old tanks for little more than elbow grease and two valves.

How did I go from two tanks less than two years ago to 9 in the garage and 22 in the dining room?

Not bad lookin' for a 31 year old.... I don't think I paid more than $50 for that bottle on seaBay... Plus shipping and a new valve. And a new burst plug for the valve (3,358# TP, 2,105# SP - and valves don't come standard with that disk so it had to be made up... Thanks DGX.)

1678327675813.png

1678327703807.png

1678327740762.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom