Old reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OceanSpirit

Reaction score
This is quite amazing.

I bought a really old reg from a garage sale a couple of months ago for a few pounds. The 2nd stage had 'Royal Star' and 'Typhoon' written on it. It was chromed with a really basic piston 1st stage.I took it to my local dive shop and asked them to service it. They took 6 weeks to do it as they had real trouble finding parts. I collected it at the weekend and yesterday went to the coast for a shore dive. I had attached the reg to my pony to compare it to my Oceanic Delta. To my astonishment it outperformed it at all depths and positions!! It breathed so naturally, I was unaware that I was breathing through a reg at all. I know some deep divers like a reg that takes some cracking but I don't. I also compared it to my buddy's Scubapro G500 and it was in both our opinions far superior.At no time did we struggle for air even at 35M. Now I know the only subjective way to measure a reg's performance is to use a test machine but both my buddy and myself were in no doubt that the old reg was much smoother and easier than our usual rigs.

So, the questions I have are:

A) Can anyone tell me anything more about the reg? Do you recognise the make?

B) How is it a reg that is probably 15 years or more old, could be better than modern high performance gear??

Thanks, people!

Hello ocean spirit if you can forward a digital photo via e-mail (rainreg@knology.com) I can provide you with some information as well as points of contact that can provide you history on the item in question. thank you for your post.

Rainreg,

Cheers buddy. I'll have to borrow a camera from someone but I will get that to you as soon as I can. I would really love to know more about this reg.

Thanks for your interest.

Back
Top Bottom