old scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well that all may be very true; but i bet a careless tech sometimes even an experienced tech can and have also damaged regulators during service ( happened to me). Now the question is how many will own up and say "well we damaged your reg during service so we will replace it"; fat chance! I take my time and think about what i do and so far my regs function perfectly. In fact they probobly function better when I service them because i am willing to tune it to the edge of performance vs freeflow. I know that i can re-tune in the field if I wish, but a dive tech will not be there with me to tune my second down from free flowing so they are justifiably less inclined to tune for max performance. There are advantages to learning how your regulator works and maintaining it yourself other than monetary savings...
Your points are very valid and really crappy service on a MK 15 (the tech dropped the piston and nicked the seating edge - but would never admit it) and a desire to get maximum performance from my regulators is what led me to become a tech.

As a tech I agree it is difficult to tune a customer's reg to the peak of performance as a few months or 20 dives later when a bit more of a seating groove develops the odds are good it will develop a freeflow. If it is an adjustable second stage it is no big deal as the diver can adjust it a little harder and resolve the problem (and in fact never realize what is happening or that there was aproblem to start with) but if the reg is non adjustable, the customer comes in bent out of shape over the inconvenience of having to come in for re-tuning. Mail order service is even more problematic as the customer ends up paying shipping at least one way if not both ways.

So...I see no real problem with customers knowing and learning enough to tune their own second stages. It is not rocket science and with 10 minutes of training and under $30 in tools they can do a good job with it - with 20 minutes of training and $50 in tools they can be great at it and know when to bring it to a tech in for more serious work.

if all they want is 100 give it to them and dont worry about the hassle.... Ih ave seen some very scarry things when people who are not trained service their own regs

if all they want is 100 give it to them and dont worry about the hassle.... Ih ave seen some very scarry things when people who are not trained service their own regs

So who serviced the leaking regulator in your profile picture?

From what I have seen, both a novice and an incompetent tech are quite able to screw up a regulator. But the tech is much better at covering it up and making it appear usable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom