Oldest Dive shop in Orange County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's strange with all the posts on the first O.C. dive shop that no mentioned " BLAC BARTS " dive shop on the P.C.H. Highway.
Can you fill us in about this one Sam ?

dead dog

Clive Cussler worked at the Santa Ana Aquatic Center.
Dick Spencer worked and own part of the Aquatic Center Santa Ana was the best, where I was certified by Harry Vetter in 1960. There were a lot of managers there .

Dead dog,

I can provide you and members of the board with the history of the two shops, Black Bart's and the Aquatic Center #2 in Santa Ana, both had numerous owners extending into the 1950s. What purpose would it serve?

You and I go way back in diving to the 1950s. At the present time there are just too many modern late model tube sucking bubble blowers who like 1.3 would say who cares? Or Mr. Elshenawi who migrated from Egypt to proclaim there was no dive shops or diving in OC until he graced OC with his presence.

If you really want the genology of Black Bart's and Aquatic Center #2 send me a PM.

SDM

By the way Bill, I received a Christmas card from Harry Vetter, LA CO UW Instructor and NAUI Instructor #4, he is now 85 and doing well. You have the distinction of having the oldest living NAUI instructor and one who taught at the original Houston course as your basic instructor. sdm

For those of you serious about learning the history of sport diving, I suggest reading "Scuba America" by Al Tillman and Zale Parry. It's an in-depth and educational look at the history of our underwater passion. Also at no point do the authors become baiting, condescending know-it-alls.

Enjoy.

Scuba America

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom