Oly Evolt housing announcement...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Oly announced an UW housing for the Evolt DSLR today. No mention of price that I have seen. As this camera sells for under 1K with a reasonable kit lens, if the housing is priced under $500 this could REALLY open some doors to those who are serious about photography, but not interested in blowing huge $$ on UW housings...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05033101e300_underwater.asp

Eya:
Oh dear, it mounts that crap TTL connector and cap I finally managed to remove and replace with Mike Dive's one !!!

Sorry but I hate it...
Oly rules

I like your UW images. What RU using the Evolt? If so any comments? I have read the viewfinder is far from ideal.

As a Nikon shooter currently using an S70 (Canon) and no where near any great diving the S70 is fine for now... BUT we are going to move to FL, not if, but when... So I'm already pondering my DSLR options... hehe...

Sorry about this but I'm using an Oly 5060 + PT-020 that mounts that crap TTL external connector as well.
Personally speaking I find mine to be a good choice in terms of cost/performance, sorry but don't know anything about Evolt nor it's being sold in Italy yet

RonFrank:
Oly announced an UW housing for the Evolt DSLR today. No mention of price that I have seen. As this camera sells for under 1K with a reasonable kit lens, if the housing is priced under $500 this could REALLY open some doors to those who are serious about photography, but not interested in blowing huge $$ on UW housings...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05033101e300_underwater.asp

Dont hold your breath.. Spoke to an olympus rep.. Price is expected to be in the $1300 range (this enclosure is also expected to be rated to 60m/200fsw considerably better than previous offerings)... The body will be the same for everyone and the lens enclosure will be ordered to match the lens the user has..

That sounds expansive uh?!?

Eya:
That sounds expansive uh?!?

I wouldn't say that.. Its meant to be a more professional offering and is in line with other housings of this type...

Wonder what the pricing for the Ike housing will be, I'm willing to bet there won't be much of a difference which would make the Ike housing an easy choice over the Oly.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Wonder what the pricing for the Ike housing will be, I'm willing to bet there won't be much of a difference which would make the Ike housing an easy choice over the Oly.

That's the same feeling of mine.
If I plan to spend 1.3k € for a camera and easiliy the same for the housing including the lens enclosure, then I wonder weather it's better a prosumer housing such as Ike or an alu one.. but again I would underline the presence of that crappy TTL connector made of plastic! Guys mine got corroded after 4 dives without maintenance and made me almost damage the housing trying to remove it once blocked...

Looks like something oly would make complex and performant but cheap at the same time... if so I'd better choose a pro one or a basic one..

That's my thought, anyway

padiscubapro:
Dont hold your breath.. Spoke to an olympus rep.. Price is expected to be in the $1300 range (this enclosure is also expected to be rated to 60m/200fsw considerably better than previous offerings)... The body will be the same for everyone and the lens enclosure will be ordered to match the lens the user has..

I'd skip the oly (the Evolt viewfinder is rather questionable for UW use) and go with the D70 and Fantasea UW housing that comes with a port for under 1K.

I'm a Nikon guy in the 35mm flavor in any event. While I don't own a D70, it could easily end up in my bag......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom