OLY FE-115 strobe question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snepdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello to all of you Oly users. This is my first photography related post so I will try not to sound dumb.

I just got my first housing and an OLY fe-115. I got a good deal and I figured I could begin learning with an cheap set-up and then upgrade later on as my experience increases. My question is this: I need a strobe that will work with this camera but I can use when I upgrade someday. I do not want to have to get another strobe when I upgrade camera and housing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

By the way, The housing is Ikelite, If that makes a difference.

imho save your money and pass on an external strobe for now............save those scuba bucks for a camera upgrade that offers you the ability to set aperture, shutter, and ISO manually.

just my .02psi,
b

I do appreciate your input. So manual control of these features is important for upgrading. Correct?
Obviously I need to learn what some of these terms/features even are.
Thanks for you help.

Clay,

Your camera was designed to capture images (fantastically!) through air, not water. Light reacts differently when forced to travel through a medium that is 8 times heavier than air. Your camera's sensor is going to assume low light conditions constantly and respond by increasing the auto ISO (potential for "noise"), opening the aperture (allowing too much ambient light, overexposing the background), and slowing down the shutter speed (motion blur?) all of which have the potential for less than desirable results when submerged. This is especially true in how these automated decisions affect the background exposure (ambient lit, no strobe influence).

imho, use and enjoy what you have. If you stay close to your subject (intended target), say within two feet of anything you're going to aim your lens at........even closer!!!...........(if you can't touch it, don't shoot it).........then you'll be fine.............and much happier with diving imho than compounding things at this point in trying to match a strobe to fit your needs for both now and possibly later.

otoh, if you can't resist the temptation, check out the INON D2000 with S-TTL. It will grow with you until the time comes to hard wire to a dSLR system. At that time, the INON will still have held its value if cared for. And imho you'll be able to resell it for a reasonable price...........

but I'd still opt for a camera upgrade before going in that direction..........

fwiw,
b

I see what you are saying. The camera does have a macro setting and does OK close up out of water. Next dive will tell me exactly how good it does in the water. Any pictures,even bad one are better than the ones I currently have. (none).
Thanks for your input. I am waiting until I get another camera before I get a strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom