Oly SP-350 / PT-030 and a Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I concur with the Ike products. Very robust and will last and last.

I researched the Oly housing and Heinrichs adapter. For just a little bit more money I got the Ike housing. In my opinion, Ike wins hands down. No comparison. I have no problems with any of the controls on the housing. Bulkier, yes. But I will gladly trade that for peace of mind on the quality of the product.

And then we can talk about service. There is absolutely no comparison here. Ike stands behind their products and their customer service it top notch. Let's see you call Oly about an issue with their housing and ask for repair/inspection. :rofl3: You will end up replacing it for what it would cost you to send it in for repair and then you get the fun job of transferring the aftermarket bulkhead to the new housing.

Ike may cost a bit more now, but in the long run it may end up being cheaper. In the mean time you get to enjoy the better quality and better service.

Just wanted to share my 2 cents. Obviously everyone has their own opinion what what to get. Only you know what is best for your situation and needs.

PermanentlyNarced:
And then we can talk about service. There is absolutely no comparison here. Ike stands behind their products and their customer service it top notch. Let's see you call Oly about an issue with their housing and ask for repair/inspection. :rofl3: You will end up replacing it for what it would cost you to send it in for repair and then you get the fun job of transferring the aftermarket bulkhead to the new housing.

Hmmm...

One of my dive partners just got her camera and housing replaced by Olympus after a minor flood on her trip to Hawaii. No problems or questions asked.

All brands have pros and cons. There are no absolutes, either.

If I go with a Sea & Sea strobe for my SP 350/PT 030, I'll bet that strobe could be used on another set up later, just like the Ike could.

I'm sure you;re happy with your Ike purchases. Me...I'm happy with my Oly purchases. It's all good...

Enjoy...

Ian

Another option is THIS

Gives you TTL and you don't have to change the bulkhead.

ended up ordering the DS-51 with Deluxe Ball Arm and EV controller set with Dual Handle Tray, Mini Lite bracket and Mini Light from B&H Photo Video

Ryan from Reefphotovideo tried to help me out (kudos) but couldn't take a visa card from me due to my location:14:

I let you know how we fair:rofl3:

blahblah:
ended up ordering the DS-51 with Deluxe Ball Arm and EV controller set with Dual Handle Tray, Mini Lite bracket and Mini Light from B&H Photo Video

Ryan from Reefphotovideo tried to help me out (kudos) but couldn't take a visa card from me due to my location:14:

I let you know how we fair:rofl3:

Good choices. Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures. Now, start saving for the second strobe! :wink:

jlyle:
Ike housings are excellent. The Oly housings are, how do I say this, underengineered?

If you buy an Ike strobe, you will use it for your next camera, and your next... Cameras getting better and better - very few people are still shooting 3 Megapixel cameras anymore; five years from now ten megapixels will seem primitive, but I'll still have my Ike DS-125s...

Ike houses ARE built pretty good for P&S cameras.. They are for most people using P&S cameras.. Over-engineered though IMHO. They are bigger and more bulky than required and you are tied into the Ike strobes. You use the argument that you can use the Ike strobes with your next camera, which is true, as long as you use an Ike housing. Ike housings DO have a lot of quarks and issues though besides their size. One that comes to mind is the lack of spring on the shutter release for the SP-350. Not sure why they did this, but sounds odd.

Honestly though, the Ike housings are the "cheap" option when you get into higher end cameras. They work, but they aren't a comparison to the Subal, Aquatica, Sea & Sea and other housings for DSLR cameras.

With the choice of an Inon or Sea & Sea strobe, you have much more flexability to what housing you will use in the future. For the SP-350, I found the Sea & Sea YS-110 to be a better strobe when it comes to TTL functions.

rjsimp:
You use the argument that you can use the Ike strobes with your next camera, which is true, as long as you use an Ike housing.

not true....:no

You can use other housings with Ikelite strobes...not sure where you got that Idea?

But there are many folks out there with (seacam,aquatica,subal) housings and ds-125's hooked together in perfect harmony

Personally I think you should go with what you want. I chose ikelite because of their customer service and referals from my friends...

But thats my reasoning, figure yours out and go with what you want!:D

lifeisfullofgooddives:
not true....:no

You can use other housings with Ikelite strobes...not sure where you got that Idea?

But there are many folks out there with (seacam,aquatica,subal) housings and ds-125's hooked together in perfect harmony

Personally I think you should go with what you want. I chose ikelite because of their customer service and referals from my friends...

But thats my reasoning, figure yours out and go with what you want!:D

Well.. I made that statement not from experience but from what others have said that own them and they said they have issues with them working with other housings. I am referring to hard wired TTL and manual modes not optical sync so maybe that is where we are different. It was my understanding that the Ike strobes work with their sync cords and not with the Nikonos style sync cords that many housings use.

On the customer service (again this is what others have told me).. I was told it was good their customer service was so great because you'll need it! :rofl3:

I remember a post a year ago or so where a guys dome port came unglued during a dive and just fell apart. Ike replaced it of course and the camera that was flooded. What was funnier was it was in grand cayman when Ike reps were there demoing their new housings and they saw it first hand.

I prefer to not need customer service if I can avoid it and yet have a good company there when I need it. I have never needed service/support for my camera gear except for my D200 that wigged out on me during a trip. Now I have a backup D200 incase that happens again. :wink:

well I can't comment on whether or not the stobes work with ttl on other housings as my housing is ikelite. so no guessing their

I understood your post to mean the strobes would not be compatible with other housings, which in fact they are. I have read about different Photo "pro" shooters who swear by the ds-125 and their (subal, aquatica,etc) housing. I have also seen a few rigs like this in real life.

I also would like to never have to call customer service for a fix, and quite happily I so far have not had to. However I have called customer service for information on certain things related to the housing and have always gotten a quick and friendly response. Which is why I like them.

I don't assume any housing or strobe is perfect (mainly because I don't want to up-set the scuba gods) but I do find comfort in the fact that should my ike fail....they usually do replace or fix the problem....which is what their track record states.

Personally I can't ask for more than that

In an unrelated note I envy the D200....very nice camera. I curently own a D50 and am having alot of fun taking pics....However I am in no way ready to fork over the $$$$ for that housing just yet. Besides I might actually up-grade to the d200 in the future before going dslr underwater. We will have to wait and see!

I use a d2000 with optical cable and a PT30

If i had to go with a new flash I would go with the D2000 model that has a cable socket (2000W?) and use the TTL set up Moodiejeff described.

Optical TTL isnt true TTL, but it works ok once you are over the learning curve. I am now relearning manual settings as well, but that socket and true TTL would of been a nice option to have.

[edit: whoops - just saw OP has already purchased a strobe. Thats what you get for not fully reading the thread]

Cheers,
Rohan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom