Olympus C-5000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namabiru

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone used this camera for an U/W tourist diving camera? I just got a good deal on one on Ebay, and the housing was also cheap due to the camera being discontinued (I assume). I'm just curious about what I can expect from this camera.

I am also curious as I have picked up a new housing, and was wondering about picking up a cheap used camera. I get out bid so far on the camera, but time is on my side.
Aloha
Turtleguy9

I have this camera with the Olympus housing. It has been an excellent rig for general underwater shooting. For the best results, team it with a flash of some kind. You will need an optical cable set up as there is no electrical connection on the housing for the hot shoe. I am using a Inon 180D with mine and an Ultra Light base/arm. Any base and flash will help get better pix and keep the blue out of your shots.

Pix in my gallery are all taken with this set up.

The C-5000, albeit 5 MP, is full featured camera. I have used it with Oly housing for about 2 1/2 yrs. (the last 5 months with YS-110). Would post some pics, but don't know how and don't know where to look for info on SB. If you are interested PM me with email address, and I'll send a couple.

I am still using a C4000 and have no problems with it underwater. You should get great results with the C5000.

Using your camera in manual mode will yield the best results. Also use manual white balance for all your non-strobe shots. Try using the "daylight" or "cloudy" white balance setting when using the on board strobe. I think you will see better color results than with "auto" white balance. I get the best results with the "cloudy" setting.

Hi,
I also just got this case + camera. With case on clearance + craigslist for a used C-5000, that's a 200$ underwater starter rig :)

I was wondering if there's a noticeable difference in image quality using the TIFF mode vs SHQ (low compression JPG). Is the lag between shots any faster or slower? I'd like to use TIFF mode as JPG is lossy, but at something like 4 times the size, I'll be able to get a lot fewer pics during a dive (I've got a 512MB card so at about 14MB per image I'll only get around 35 shots per dive in TIFF)

Also, I've been playing with setting the "one-touch" white balance. Does the flash always fire when using this setting, or is this dependent on the flash setting at the time?

thanks
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom