Olympus C-5050z

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outerwater

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi
Can anyone give me their opinion on what would be the best strobe to use for this camera with the Olympus PT-015 housing.
Also if anyone has a strobe for sale for this set up please let me know.
Other stuff im looking for, to buy are:
# ikelite housing to suit olympus C-5050z.
# Tetra housing to suit the same.
# HeinrichsWeikamp digital adapter to suit above camera and YS-60 or YS-50 strobe.
If anyone can help or shed some light on any of these items it would be most appreciated.

Cheers.
Outerwater.:snorkel2::uwphotographer:

I personally use the old Inon D-180 strobes with my 5050. I like Inon but really have no means of comparison (other than online comparisons) as it is all that I have used.

I use a pair of Sea and Sea YS-90DX's with my 5050 and the Light and Motion Tetra housing. I have had tremendous success with this rig with both single and dual strobes. Single strobe is plenty for macro, especially the super macro mode that the 5050 has. Dual strobes are what I use for wide angle or when I need to have a ton of light otherwise. The YS-90 models are easy to adapt to the PT-015 via optical trigger and adapters exist for electrical synch as well.

I 2nd the recommendation for the Inon D180. You also have a PM regarding an Ikelite housing

I bought my first 5050 when they were still available retail; but I bought referbished. Since I had a couple G's invested in Ike SS200's (Nikonus V dual rig) I went with the Ike Slave Sensor. Granted I do not have ttl capability with the strobe. I never used ttl on the Nikonus V except in Photo Pro class when the task was macro with ttl.

It all depends on what your shooting style is. I prefer wide angle, getting the big picture or the big animal; the SS200 covers 100 deg (20 mm). I often spin off the WAL to get closer shots but I leave the super macro for the nudi lovers. In the PT-015 the 5050 shoots decent ttl semi-macro with the internal flash and I am more than satisfied with the results. That is not an option in the Tetra.

With the SS200 set at quarter or eighth power, I can shoot in high speed continuous with strobe on all four shots. Only late in the dive might the 4th shot at quarter power show a noticable drop off. Additionally, the built in modeling light is powerful enough to be primary night dive light and still fire plenty of strobes in an hour long dive.

A couple other features I like both have to do with the fact that the camera and housing can be completely detached from the tray and strobe. If the strobe dies (at least 5 different possible reasons) I can either clip off the tray and strobe or leave it on the bottom until I return, making the best of the dive with ambient/flash images. If the subject is way back in a tight hole only a housing sans strobe cable will fit, my housing has no strobe cable.

Not every diver uses their strobe as an hour long night dive light. Not every diver needs high speed continuous lighting. Not every diver wants to carry a strobe this big and heavy. The one thing I would mention is that buying top of the line strobes 10 years ago has meant not having to buy strobes ever since. :wink:

I bought the C5050z when it first came out and used it for several years with the Sea&Sea YS90DX strobe. I donated it to my hubby and he got a Sea&Sea 110 strobe (now shoots with both) and loves them. They have an optical sensor which works perfectly with the camera. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom