Olympus C2040 vs Canon A40, your opinions pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoopy

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi

I am keen on starting on u/w pix and a friend is letting go his Olympus C2040 + PT-005 underwater housing. I think it is about 1.5+ yrs old.

Looking thru the reviews, the Canon A40 (a current) mode serves the same function.

What are your opinions of the 2 brands and cameras ?

PS: I am still a recreational diver with NO plans for the tech stuff, just more logged dive entries with different country and locations.

I believe the camera may be a little older than 1.5 years, the current model is a C5050Z, (5 Megapixel) and other releases have been the C4000 Series, and C3000 Series (4 & 3 Megapixel respectively) I don't know if that helps, I guess it would depend on what he is asking for it, and what your going to do with it. For example a C4040z can be had for around $400 and a Underwater Housing for $200 so that is $600, my C5050Z was $600 and the Housing was $250 for comparison.

Travis

Oh, his asking price is a bit steep thou. Spoken to him about the offer and that for about the same price, I can get the A40 + housing. Yeah, the extras like memory card & orange filter & batteries will be extra, but at least they are new.

So, is the A40 a good bet ?

cost does come into it, but your main concern should be be for bucks or picture quality verses price.

the 2040 has the same lens as my 3040 which is super bright (ideal for underwter photo's)

generaly oly's have a bigger following in the U/W scene.

check my site for some pictures with an older 1.3m 920 and the 3.4m 3040

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom