Olympus epm 1 vs canon G16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hiu07

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I need opinion. I am currently in the process of choosing of camera. After reviewing, I narrow it to Olympus epm1 and Canon G16. Does anyone have this camera? I usually dive in tropical, shoot some macro (nudis) and wide angle (seldom though). My previous camera is canon S100, with single strobe. I am also looking for good life cycle of this camera (option of upgrading using macro add on lens (subsee +10, +5)) . Thank you

Both cameras are a marginal improvement over the S100 in terms of IQ that I am not sure it is worth the effort. Probably an upgrade to the S120 is the most meaningful option if you already have wet lenses

The epm1 will give you better image quality, but if you're looking at that, you should consider the epm2 which has a better sensor and features.

Thank you Interceptor121 and Jak Crow for your opinion. I haven't have add on lens, and still wondering what option is best. I have search on net, that olympus housing can accommodate macro lens (the interchangeability lens of EPM1) or EPM1 also can accommodate add on wet lens, since from I see the housing is quite big, don't know if there adapter to the housing. But I have seen canon housing with add on wet lens. I am not serious photo junkie. Just love to shoot here and there during the dive. I am not ready to commit serious money into the system :D

I have no opinion about the Olympus, but have seen the G15/G16 produce many great photos. Check out this guy's instagram account - Instagram

All shot with a Fantsea/G15 - no strobe, no RAWs, all natural lighting and JPEGs...

I just upgraded my rig from a Canon A570IS to the G16 and I absolutely love it. I'm using the Ikelite TTL housing, a video light (Sola 1200) and a small flash (Ikelite DS51). In our conditions, almost all photos are close up or macro.

Thank you for all the input. After much-much reseearch, my conclusion is way tooo many information is making confuse, ha...ha.... So I just revert to the basic mode "buy now, think latter, and if it doesn't work out, there's always the classified forum" Right now I choose the Canon G-16. So far it lived by the name as top of Canon Prosummer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom