Olympus C5050 or...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rr75

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm new to underwater photography and am looking to get my first "real" digital camera...likely to be used for both under- and above-water pictures. (I've been using disposable $10 cameras for a few months when diving and, well, I'm sick of the poor results.)

I've read through the archives, and I've seen a (whole) lot of satisfied Olympus C5050 users, enough to the point that I'm seriously considering purchasing one. I've seen some of the online links to buy the camera at a decent price. Here's my concern, though, which might be misplaced: I understand that the camera was discontinued, even though it's still available online in a few places. Was there a reason it was discontinued? Are there parts that I might need in the future that I wouldn't be able to purchase if I bought a C5050 now? (Basically, would I be buying a camera that's being made obsolete?) I'd be hoping to keep this camera for several years.

I'd originally been considering something like a Nikon 4300, which is a bit cheaper and looks solid, but got to thinking when I saw the overwhelming number of satisfied C5050 users on the board. Opinions either way, or is there something else I should be considering? (For background, I have 60 dives and am fine with the camera task-loading, and I've used friends' digital cameras above water and loved them.)

Any opinions are appreciated. Money isn't a huge object, but I'm looking to keep the camera cost under $500 (not including housing).

rr75:
I'm new to underwater photography and am looking to get my first "real" digital camera...likely to be used for both under- and above-water pictures. (I've been using disposable $10 cameras for a few months when diving and, well, I'm sick of the poor results.)

I've read through the archives, and I've seen a (whole) lot of satisfied Olympus C5050 users, enough to the point that I'm seriously considering purchasing one. I've seen some of the online links to buy the camera at a decent price. Here's my concern, though, which might be misplaced: I understand that the camera was discontinued, even though it's still available online in a few places. Was there a reason it was discontinued? Are there parts that I might need in the future that I wouldn't be able to purchase if I bought a C5050 now? (Basically, would I be buying a camera that's being made obsolete?) I'd be hoping to keep this camera for several years.

I'd originally been considering something like a Nikon 4300, which is a bit cheaper and looks solid, but got to thinking when I saw the overwhelming number of satisfied C5050 users on the board. Opinions either way, or is there something else I should be considering? (For background, I have 60 dives and am fine with the camera task-loading, and I've used friends' digital cameras above water and loved them.)

Any opinions are appreciated. Money isn't a huge object, but I'm looking to keep the camera cost under $500 (not including housing).

Been shooting Oly cams since 1999 - here are some things to think about.

1) Olympus will "support" the 5050 for many, many years to come. This includes parts availability, software support, documentation, etc. You have no worries there. They still support the 3000 and that cam is almost 5 years old.

2) Model succession is a strategic marketing decision, not a "functional" decision. In the years I've been with Olympus, I'm hard pressed to find a model that was current for a shorter period of time than the 5050. But that's no matter, infact, that's better for guys like me. It means a larger quantity of quality refurbs are available as the price drops. I love it.

3) As far as your features go, for the $380 - $440 you'll pay for this cam these days, you will not find a cam more loaded with features (especially targeted at divers) than this cam. The My Modes make it a snap to change 4 - 10 features (maybe more) at the single flip of a switch - making the unit very nimble underwater. I could go on and on - but trust me, the 5050 is uniquely suited for what we do.

4) Topside - it just rocks. There are a full complement of accessory lenses that make this cam very versatile, as well as outboard TTL flash options to bring it up to true pro-sumer output. You'll get great pics out of it.

5) Its just rugged. The cam is rugged. Its small so you can take it everywhere (nothing sux more than being someplace and wishing you had brought your cam!) it takes real AA batts (the way God intended cams to operate) and its loaded with features that enable you to personalize it - programmable start up, custom buttons, etc.

I think its an excellent choice. PLUS - the online support you'll get at www.dpreview.com for land use, and the online support you'll get here for UW use should heavily influence your decision. If you got questions, we have answers.

Choose wisely. The 5050 is a great choice.

K

I also support the OLY 5050 but have one suggection , check your underwater houseing carefully you have two main choice , the oly pt-015 and the Ikelite , research both then decide .

After looking at all the people/divers using the 5050, I decided to take the leap. I have been very pleased with the performance of the 5050 both above and below water.

I highly recommend you also take the leap and if you don't like it then i'm sure someone here would be more than happy to take it off your hands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom