Olympus E-PM1 Lens question Sigma 30mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlyinV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Can I use the Sigma 30mm in the stock Olympus housing?
I know the lens technically works but....
Is this lens any good for underwater use and does it fit into the stock housing?

Is it better then the kit lens 14-42mm?

I do have the 60mm lens from Olympus which is great (and expensive) but I would like to find something wider but I don't want to have to get a dome port.

I am usually shooting the kit lens at 14mm -- whats the best lens I should get that I can use without a dome port at the mm.

At the scuba show a recurring theme from photo guys was -- have a great lens.

I cannot answer your question about whether the Sigma 30 would fit in the Olympus housing. I don't use that housing and do not have that lens. I would say, though, that it does not seem to me to be useful lens. You already have a macro lens and if you want something wide, then you should really be looking in the 12-14 range. Remember that in a flat port, you lose some of the angle of view as well. Depending on your finances, I would look at a 9-18 zoom, a 12mm or 14mm lens or maybe, but not ideally, a 17 or 19mm.

Frankly, since you have a 14-42, I would not bother getting anything in that range or narrower unless you are looking for a wider aperture or better image quality. If the 9-18 works in the port you have or one you can afford, I would probably go that route.

Even though I did not answer your primary question, I hope this is helpful.

While the 30mm would maybe work, it wouldn't be a useful lens, especially for w/a. You'd want a wider angle lens, not narrower.

I would buy the Zen dome port, as it will give you a 30% wider F.O.V. than the flat stock port. So it will greatly improve your 14-42 - and give much better sharpness and corners. Then you can add the 9-18 later, however it is on sale this week at $100 off ;-).

I agree with Jack, I was contacted regarding an issue with the Sigma 30mm using a 4" curved port where the lens would not focus. This is an issue related to the virtual image and the fact that the lens does not focus close enough for smaller ports. A +2 to +4 C/U lens is needed just to get it to focus. Jacks recommendation is a much sounder idea.

Thanks for the advice --- I will pass on the 30mm and save up for a dome port.
From Optical Ocean since Jack is always good giving advice :)

Thanks Jeff!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom