Olympus Macro questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PMLA-EP01 macro port, with suitable diopter, is specifically for macro on the stock Olympus housing.What the diopter does is allow you to get closer and still focus. How close depends on the strength of the diopter.

For the lens, simply measure the length vs the stock lens in full tele. I suspect even if it does fit using and focusing will be a bit of a challenge, if it's even suitable for macro. I'd do some research. The 60mm seems to be 'the choice' for a macro lens.

Thanks - I figured it wouldn't work but thought I'd ask. I have the 60mm lens and love it, but sometimes you still just can't get close enough. I know it's underwater photography and all but you spend 5 minutes for that super tight macro shot inching, inching, inching to get... just... in... range... and.....CRAP someone else comes along and spooks your subject back into his hole.

OLY10173.jpg

My wife uses the 60mm. Occasionally she'll put a diopter in front of that. I use the stock lens and diopter exclusively. I have been known to stack them but the depth of field goes to hell and the picture taking gets pretty technical.

Great shot. I love it when someone takes a new view of something you see regularly?

Other divers! Aren't they a pain sometimes? I had a group of Americans pulling on my fins as they wanted to have a look at what I was looking at. I had been there about 5 mins trying to get a couple of decent exposures and they thought I was being selfish not allowing them to see what I had found. Bloody unbelievable!

Thanks - I figured it wouldn't work but thought I'd ask. I have the 60mm lens and love it, but sometimes you still just can't get close enough. I know it's underwater photography and all but you spend 5 minutes for that super tight macro shot inching, inching, inching to get... just... in... range... and.....CRAP someone else comes along and spooks your subject back into his hole.

OLY10173.jpg

The 75mm is not a macro lens. The 60mm plus a diopter is the best idea.

Great shot. I love it when someone takes a new view of something you see regularly?

Other divers! Aren't they a pain sometimes? I had a group of Americans pulling on my fins as they wanted to have a look at what I was looking at. I had been there about 5 mins trying to get a couple of decent exposures and they thought I was being selfish not allowing them to see what I had found. Bloody unbelievable!
Now granted, if I am in the water with a lot of other divers, especially photogs, no, you can't spend that kind of time. But it was just the wife and I, everyone else followed the "crowd", we knew the dive site very well and went our own way, literally the opposite direction of every one else. No other divers around, and we had the only cameras in the water.

Which diopter would you recommend?

Depends how much coffee you drink... ;-)

The 60mm is an 120mm equivalent macro lens in 35mm, ie it's pretty darn strong. Personally I like a +5 for most situations, except tiny pigmy's etc. Lots of people shoot the 60mm with very strong diopters like the Nauticam SMC. But that takes a lot of experience and time for each shot too.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom