Olympus Stylus 8000, anyone used one uw yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fireweed849

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Olympus Stylus 8000 underwater? What did you think of it? Pros and cons?

I hate being without a camera on any dive, and sometimes it isn't possible to take my DSLR setup along (shoredives particularly). I am looking for a very small point and shoot that will fit in a BC pocket.

I saw some discussion of the Olympus 1030SW, and the Stylus 8000 just seems to be a later model of that camera. It has the advantage of being waterproof without a housing, at least down to 33 ft. I would likely get a housing, and it looks like Olympus and Ikelite make housings.

If you don't like the 8000, any suggestions for another point and shoot?

Thanks!

i am also looking for any comments about how this camera (olympus 8000) works underwater. i am interested in this camera for the same reasons as fireweed849.

a more specific question i had, is about the (super) macro mode on the camera. how does it work with the internal flash only, in the olympus PT045 housing?

many thanks!
--taso

hmm strange that nobody post here. i have one and trying to post pictures

Your links are wrong, is this Pictures by decimal86 - Photobucket link you wanted to publish?

I also intended to buy Tough 8000, but after testing it for a few days I decided to return it and buy Panasonic FT1, which makes very acceptable UW photos and especially great movies.
Sharm El Sheikh 03-10 oct. 2009 album | Primoz | Fotki.com
YouTube - PrimozP's Channel

To give you another data point. I have am Olympus Stylus 1010, very similar. Let me say this, if you hit the right settings it will take spectacular pictures and like most digitals it can also shot crap.

As far as how to tweek the settings (it is a totally automatic camera which tranlates to way off settings UW if you select Auto), I use the following. Camera in Scene Mode using either UW Macro or UW1, Zoom = wide always, Flash On (subject inside 4'), Macro On, ASA = 400, ev = -1.8. The last two settings are to try and force the camera to stop down the lens/get a faster shutter speed to reduce the problems with motion blur.

Here's a slideshow from earlier this year. Notice how much better the seconds day's pictures. This is due to learning about the Scene Mode.

http://cecil.allenhost.com/Keys2009Full.exe

Attachments

• SchoolMaster.jpg
    SchoolMaster.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 25
To give you another data point. I have am Olympus Stylus 1010, very similar. Let me say this, if you hit the right settings it will take spectacular pictures and like most digitals it can also shot crap.

I think that Olys 1010 and 8000 are not similar and comparable with each other. They both are Olys and probably have similar electronics and similar programs, but 1010 has telescopic lenses while 8000 folded optics, and it is known that the folded optics at Olys is not sharp and probably the worst among all cameras with folded optics (mentioned in many forums, and also my experience is the same - since 2005 I owned all Pentax Wxx and two Olympus SW cameras, I also extensively tested Tough 8000 and Canon D10, and at the moment I have Panasonic FT1).

But I totaly agree with you that it is possible to shot crap with excellent cameras and acceptable pictures with not so good cameras (with lots of knowlege and experience, of course).

I must noted that I have tested and used these cameras only without additional underwater housing, and only during snorkeling/free diving in depths up to 10 meters.

Yes the glass is quite different, I was thinking that the software short be very similar which leads to a critical parameter UW, white balance.

Interesting about Oly's folded optics, I have been giving serious thought to a folded optics camera and was leaning towards the Olys. No housing for the Pentax's and the Canon is a lot larger. The reason I want folded optics is to minimize the lens shadowing from the flash (a serious problem on the 1010).

Back
Top Bottom