Olympus vs. Discovery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Title says it all. Spending a week in Atlantic Beach in early August, hoping to spend as many days as possible diving! Both of these outfits seem to be well-reviewed, so I'm just curious as to why folks might choose one over the other.

Thank you!

I prefer Olympus. Both are good operations. I like the Olympus boats better. Also just familiarity with the operation, I have been out with Olympus much more than I have with Discovery. Can't say anything bad about DIscovery except their six pack boat (if they are still running it) does not have a ladder, you take your gear off in the water and they hoist it up and then you climb onto the swim platform.

Also - just noticed you said Atlantic Beach, if that's the case you're also much closer to Olympus than Discovery. Just right over the bridge into Morehead.

I don't normally dive with either of them and tend to prefer the Atlantis but they are booked about 2 years in advance and are a 6-pack. If I'm going out on the cattle boats I do tend to prefer Olympus but wouldn't hesitate to dive on Discovery.

I will actively steer people away from Discovery. No big story or need to get into drama but Olympus is a much better organized and well run operation than Discovery.

Having said that I prefer six-pack boats. I would recommend Mutiny Diving and Atlantis Diving. I have not used them but you could also check out Instigator Fishing & Diving Charters.

The problem with six-pack boats is they tend to fill up quickly and they don't always have open seating so I would say Olympus is your best option.

I will actively steer people away from Discover. No big story or need to get into drama but Olympus is a much better organized and well run operation than Discovery.

Having said that I prefer six-pack boats. I would recommend Mutiny Diving and Atlantis Diving. I have not used them but you could also check out Instigator Fishing & Diving Charters.
+1. My thoughts exactly.

I am with the group on this one, i tend to like 6 packs more than cattle boats. @Cindy Norris Garb and her boat Instagator are amazing, but located in swansboro. I would also recommend the Mutiny II. Which shops out of atlantic beach.

I have been down to NC twice to dive. The first week I was there we went with Olympus but unfortunately got blown out the entire week. That being said they seemed like a very well run operation that took safety very seriously. My second trip down we went with Discovery and got blown out every day except for one. We did two dives on the Aeolus from their 6 pack boat the Captain’s Lady it was a great time but the boat was in rough shape and lacked any real ladder. This was not an issue for us but something to keep in mind as climbing onto the swim platform without a ladder may be challenging to some people. The weather in NC is tricky be prepared to miss dive days.

Back
Top Bottom