OM-1 vs Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12-40 pro II
BTW, I confirmed with Nauticam and several Nauticam dealers that the Nauticam accessories, ports and wet lenses that are compatible with the 12-40 I are compabatible with the newer version, II.

I think I have settled on my approach... The size difference between the two does not seem like much after comparison and considering the more integrated tray approach of the nauticam helps cut down on bulk a bit.
  • OM-1
  • Nauticam housing
  • 60mm Macro + focus gear
  • Naticam Macro Port 65
  • Backscatter Airlock Vacuum system and bulkhead
And then currently deciding between:
  • 12-40mm Pro II with the N85 7" Acrylic Dome
or the
  • 14-42mm f2.5-5.6 II R with the N85 Macro Port 56 and WWL - 1

I think I have settled on my approach... The size difference between the two does not seem like much after comparison and considering the more integrated tray approach of the nauticam helps cut down on bulk a bit.
  • OM-1
  • Nauticam housing
  • 60mm Macro + focus gear
  • Naticam Macro Port 65
  • Backscatter Airlock Vacuum system and bulkhead
And then currently deciding between:
  • 12-40mm Pro II with the N85 7" Acrylic Dome
or the
  • 14-42mm f2.5-5.6 II R with the N85 Macro Port 56 and WWL - 1
Why not the Nauticam vacuum system?
I have the 14-32 + WWL-1. Nice.,

no specific reason, just clicked on the backscatter one when I added the housing to my cart. Wasn't sure if it was better or not.
Sometimes it is nice -- especially for servicing -- to have all the components be from the same mfg. I know nothing of the Backscatter system, but have never heard of a problem with the Nauticam system. I buy from Reef Photo and Video (colocated with Nautiam USA), not Backscatter, so maybe that is why. The Backscatter system seems more complicated, and definitely costs more.

Naticam Macro Port 65

I'd get the "36135, N85 Macro Port 45" with the "36620, N85 Extension Ring 20" instead. The Macro Port 45 is compatible with the OLY 30mm and the Pani 45mm macro lenses. This gives you options for the future and reduces your investment with less ports you'll have to buy.

Placed the order last night. After speaking with everyone here, Backscatter, and Reef Photo & Video, I ended up ordering:
- OM-1 Body
- Nauticam Housing
- 60mm Macro Lens + focus gear + port
- 14-42 EZ Lens + zoom gear + port
- Nauticam M14 Vacuum Valve

Going to add on the WWL-1b in a few weeks.

Thanks everyone for the guidance!

Placed the order last night. After speaking with everyone here, Backscatter, and Reef Photo & Video, I ended up ordering:
- OM-1 Body
- Nauticam Housing
- 60mm Macro Lens + focus gear + port
- 14-42 EZ Lens + zoom gear + port
- Nauticam M14 Vacuum Valve

Going to add on the WWL-1b in a few weeks.

Thanks everyone for the guidance!
I think you will be VERY happy! I have the identical setup, except I have an old M10, plus the 30mm. I actually use just two ports, plus an extender to provide the third port.

Congrats OP!

I Just upgraded to an OM-1 from an EM5II myself. Holy crow is it a serious piece of kit; easily an order of magnitude more ‘camera’. It’ll take me a good while to truly get ‘settled In’ with all the customization options, but that’s half the fun! Went with AOI as Nauti was outside by budget range. Still seems a great setup all the same, and I’m eager to get the rig wet!

I think we made a good choice! :)

FYI, there’s someone selling a Panasonic 8mm FE over in the classifieds for a good price. I have the Oly myself, it’s been my go-to underwater lens on my MK5 rig, and lots of folks are quick to reccomend the Panny as well. (Main difference is the Panny is plastic, and if memory serves, not weatherproof, and it’s F5 vs the Olys F1.8, but for underwater shooting w/ strobes, I’m generally stopped down anyway, so the faster aperture isn’t as big a differentiator).

@Ccurnick, that’ll be a lot of fun!

The Panasonic fisheye is f/3.5 vs the Olympus f/1.8, which weighs twice as much and is a good bit longer. They both focus almost to the front element (or dome) and are cool for CFWA pictures. The Olympus, due to its size, takes a much more expensive port than the Panasonic or an extension ring, at least in Nauticam dress. I’ve used the Panasonic for more than a decade, usually 2-3 dives a trip, and always enjoyed it. I doubt I’ve ever used it wide open, at least not on purpose, but the depth of field is all but infinite anyway. (@AggressorBLUE, I think they are probably equally waterproof at depth 😉)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom