OMG, my SI was less than 60 minutes!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on a liveaboard one time and two of the divers found something cool right at the end of their dive. they came up, and didn't even take off their BCDs, they just had the crew hook up the refill whip and fill the tank while they sat there. On that afternoon, their surface interval was only as long as it took to refill their tank.
Not a good idea as they would be directly in the firing line should a fault happen in the whip or valve.

I dove with a Sunnto for many years.

Penalize or account for. Call it whatever you want but you will see it act abruptly if you dive enough. Take it on a liveaboard doing multiple dives a day for several days. You will see NDL times jump with minor changes in depth. For example going from 1 minute NDL to 25 after rising a few feet.

If you go deco or close to NDL for more than 1 dive, it will "account for" that abruptly.

Nothing about on- or off-gassing happens abruptly. Why should a computer that is modeling it have abrupt behaviors?

I think that this really is scratching at a deeper conversation that needs to happen in the scuba community, basic decompression theory needs to be taught to divers sooner than their first tec class.

Why? Are people getting hurt in such numbers that making this change would have a noticeable impact on overall dive accident stats?

One of the things I like most about my Shearwater is the graph showing the inert gas loading of all 16 compartments, especially on multidive, multiday trips. It really does give a good picture of what the model thinks is going on.

Excellent way of putting it!

Of course, one could argue that since it's just a model - i.e. an educated guess - using that graph might actually promote a behavior that is inordinately risky. If you didn't have that graph to look at, would you make decisions that boiled down to "erring on the side of caution"? Does that graph enable you to make decisions like "see? This compartment has dropped down below 40%. I'm safe to start my next dive now"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom