OMG - The Sea Lions, the Sea Lions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great Shots! I was disappointed that I didn't get to see any in the water at Cabo last November. They stayed up on the rocks.

BTW -- how do you "play" with a sea lion?

Digger54:
BTW -- how do you "play" with a sea lion?

That's the best part of any Sea Lion dive!

You barrel roll with them. Look them right in the eye and roll. I like to bark too! They often come over to you and just hang - waiting for you to make a move. I pull my hands in (in this case, I had them on the camera) and just roll, baby!

They are all over it. I took a bunch of hail-mary shots (not looking through the VF) but those rarely work for me. So most of the time I had the camera rig pinned to my mask and was just rolling.

Some of the shots I didn't put up are histerical.... Sea Lions barking at the camera, inches away from the lens (big teeth, bubbles and fur filling the frame), several shots have the sandy bottom on TOP of the frame as I released the shutter while upside down, many have the bottom severely listing or even at 90 degrees!

Playing with Sea Lions is just the best. Its a good way to get a bit winded... We were in shallow (10 to 25 feet of water) on this dive. Claudette and I roll and flip with them
every time one or two join us. Its a whole other story working that hard at 65 feet...

In one of the pics, you see 'Dette taking a breather while three of them are still all up in her grill, wanting to play.

---
Ken

Great shots, Ken! Love that sea lion impersonation!:D I'm just happy I caught a glimpse of one at the dive park on Catalina.

Looking forward to doing a seal dive over here on the east coast in spring.:wink:

Digger54:
I was disappointed that I didn't get to see any in the water at Cabo last November. They stayed up on the rocks.
That would be a cause for concern for me as a diver....not sure I would have gotten in the water. Must be a good reason they were up on the rocks. :11:

johnnyseko:
That would be a cause for concern for me as a diver....not sure I would have gotten in the water. Must be a good reason they were up on the rocks. :11:

Oooooooh! Hadn't thought about that! I think in this case they were just enjoying the sun. But I will remember now that if they don't want to dive, maybe I don't want to dive!

Mo2vation - if you don't mind me asking...what camera are you using? I'm new to scuba and uw photos, and would love to know how you got those great shots.....

thanks

stunning. I could not even look before, I am so envious.

I love those guys most. Pure bliss...

rremski:
Mo2vation - if you don't mind me asking...what camera are you using? I'm new to scuba and uw photos, and would love to know how you got those great shots.....

thanks

Its not the camera. You know that, correct? Most of this stuff is right place, right time. The camera just stays out of the way.

Nikon D70, SINGLE Ikelite DS-125 Strobe (the dual sync cord died the dive before). For this shot, Nikon 12-24mm lens (my sealion lens), Ike dome port. Shot in Manual, PS CS2 for post.

Its just stuff. The important thing is seeing the bedlam and getting the shot.

Glad you like it. It sure was a lot of fun!

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Its not the camera. You know that, correct?

Ken

Yeah, like $4K worth of UW camera equipment has nothing to do with it. :wink: Nice pics, by the way. :D

riguerin:
Yeah, like $4K worth of UW camera equipment has nothing to do with it. :wink: Nice pics, by the way. :D

Yeah, and if I had $8 in equipment I'd get twice as many good shots each dive?

Its not the gear.

Thanks, tho.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Yeah, and if I had $8 in equipment I'd get twice as many good shots each dive?

Its not the gear.

Thanks, tho.

---
Ken

Well no. :huh: I would imagine that it would be the exact opposite ... that you'd get much fewer good shots than you do now.

Listen daawg, not trying to take anything away from you ... your pics are really great. The main point is, that once you remove all the other external variables (luck, conditions, operator skill, etc) then it's ALL about the equipment/technology and its limitations. The lower end gear (read cheaper) will have more limitations ... imposing more constraints on the user ... thus lowering the success rate.

Throwing equipment (and money) at the problem can help. Trading up for features like more resolution, availability of manual control settings, image processor capabilities, RAW support, lenses, number and type of external strobes, etc can make a huge difference in the final image.

But this is just all common sense, though. If the gear really didn't have ANYTHING to do with it, then professional photographers world wide would be sporting that little $8 rig you refer to. There's a good reason why they don't. So I would agree with the statement that "It's not the gear ALONE".

Rock on, bro !

Back
Top Bottom