OMS 30lb single wing - Concerns over roll + hitting head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bout to pull the trigger on an OMS Performance Mono 30lb wing, but I have two reservations:

1) It states that there are stabilizing rods to address tank roll, but I'm not seeing them. Can anyone attest to the wings ability to prevent tank roll w/o a STA?

2) Likewise, if I decide to not use a STA, have you had any issues with the tank hitting the top of your head and being too close (more than your typical experience with standard BCDs; I use apeks black ice right now)? This is especially an issue for me since I normally use AL100s whenever they are available at dive shops <- I use scubapro jet fins so I have in the past had to bring the tank higher up; if not using a STA means the tank is going to be very very close to the back of my head then this would be a problem for me.

Obviously if I can use my single tank wing correctly and comfortably without using a STA then it would be preferable to using a STA.

Thaaaaanks!

I have the OMS mono 27 wing. I am pretty sure it had anti roll...will have to look tomorrow...I absolutely abhor wings without STA and won't dive without one....to each his own. They always bang my head..look at my avatar...apparently I have a big head

1) Stabilizing rods absolutley prevent roll and they can be a little difficult to see in pictures since they are covered in fabric. I have 4 wings all with them.

A friend has an OMS with rods and it works all the same. Generally if a wing has camband pass throughs it should have anti roll rods.

2) Correct placement of the tank won't take long for you to figure out.

I just cut the stabilisers out of my mono 32 if you need some

Are you sure it's an OMS Performance Mono 30lb wing or have you hit your head too much

1. It is there, just not too obvious.
2. If I mounted the tank high enough and lean my head backward enough then I might hit the 1st stage. Why would I want to do that?

Bout to pull the trigger on an OMS Performance Mono 30lb wing, but I have two reservations:

1) It states that there are stabilizing rods to address tank roll, but I'm not seeing them. Can anyone attest to the wings ability to prevent tank roll w/o a STA?

2) Likewise, if I decide to not use a STA, have you had any issues with the tank hitting the top of your head and being too close (more than your typical experience with standard BCDs; I use apeks black ice right now)? This is especially an issue for me since I normally use AL100s whenever they are available at dive shops <- I use scubapro jet fins so I have in the past had to bring the tank higher up; if not using a STA means the tank is going to be very very close to the back of my head then this would be a problem for me.

Obviously if I can use my single tank wing correctly and comfortably without using a STA then it would be preferable to using a STA.

Thaaaaanks!

They have two pairs stabilizing rods stitched to the wing. I didn't know this when I ordered mine, and ordered a STA at the same time. You really don't need one.

The stitched stabilizing rods get in the way if you bolt the STA to the plate, it can be done, but it's awkward, bulky, and unnecessary. The stitched rods are fine. I use two tank bands, and the whole set up is rock solid. No chance of hitting my head either, never even considered that, and never had it happen.

Pics below of my set up, and a second showing the OMS STA. I wouldn't recommend buying one.

20221102_114648.jpg

20221102_114926.jpg

They have two pairs stabilizing rods stitched to the wing. I didn't know this when I ordered mine, and ordered a STA at the same time. You really don't need one.

The stitched stabilizing rods get in the way if you bolt the STA to the plate, it can be done, but it's awkward, bulky, and unnecessary. The stitched rods are fine. I use two tank bands, and the whole set up is rock solid. No chance of hitting my head either, never even considered that, and never had it happen.

Pics below of my set up, and a second showing the OMS STA. I wouldn't recommend buying one.

View attachment 751548

View attachment 751549

Thanks! Can you recommend the cam bands you use? If so what is the brand and model? Also the weight pouches? Thx!!

For proper trim. Google technical diving in back mount configuration.
What is that going to do with setting the tank too high and potentially hitting the back of the head?
No need for that for a tec diver since 1998.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Buoyancy controlled diver since 1976 and a few years before that and no head hitting one dive after that

Back
Top Bottom