On the difference between Single Tank Adapter Designs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suricatasuricata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been using a Single Tank Adapter with my (single tank) Backplate Wing configuration for a few years. Recently, I have bee tweaking things a bit, specifically in regards to the STA. The STA that came up with the kit I originally bought was the HOG STA. Now, I see that that design is fairly common, e.g. the DGX one is almost a clone of mine (in terms of how it is bent, length between bolt holes being at 11"), but is shorter at 13" vs 15" for mine.There is another design, e.g. here by Halcyon, which ScubaPro also seems to have used at some point. There might be others that I am unaware of.

From what I read, it looks like the Halcyon style design lets you insert a Halcyon weight in there. That part is tempting now that I am trying to avoid carrying a weight belt as much as possible with cold water diving. However, it is not a strong enough reason for me to switch.

I do think like the idea of an STA, as in it gives me (as a non doubles diver for now) some stability. My main problem with my current setup is that I seem to have to tighten the wing nuts every dive or the tank sways side to side (i.e. on a plane perpendicular to my trim). It is not even clear how the wing nuts are getting loose. I tried switching over to thumbwheels instead of wing nuts, but that didn't really help. The answer might be that this is something to incorporate into a pre-dive checklist and do it every time. Nevertheless, I have to ask, would this be avoided by an alternate design in the STA itself? If so, am I missing something or is this just a common fact of BP/W diving that everyone just works with.

I either pull eyelets out or hammer them a few times and generally remove cut out any wing lumps or bumps

Yeah I use nyloc nuts, or spring washers or not, under wing or normal nuts tighten both good with a spanner

But my thing is these MMO magnificent stabilisers adjustable for tank size, off the plate distance by hammer

211 IMG_3601a.jpg

M8-M10 thread sizes

49 050 (1).JPG

Most beautiful, most stable, immovable

Switch to nylock nuts and/or lock washers.. Wing nuts are only needed if you are switching plates frequently.
Not necessarily. You have to remove the STA to take the wing off and leaving it attached while traveling is just asking for trouble, aka pinch flats.

Once my rigs are all bolted together they stay together

I use pinchflat proof wings, where only the best will do

Wing nuts are only needed if you are switching plates frequently.

… or if you don’t keep your BP/W assembled like a BC. I always disassemble mine. Easier to transport, rinse & helps prevent the BP from causing a ‘pinch flat’ hole in the wing. I keep my wing safely tucked away in my bag when not in use. I cringe every time I see someone tossing their assembled BP/W around.

I have been using a Single Tank Adapter with my (single tank) Backplate Wing configuration for a few years. Recently, I have been thinking a bit tweaking things a bit, specifically in regards to the STA. The STA that came up with the kit I originally bought was the HOG STA. Now, I see that that design is fairly common, e.g. the DGX one is almost a clone of mine (in terms of how it is bent, length between bolt holes being at 11"), but is shorter at 13" vs 15" for mine.There is another design, e.g. here by Halcyon, which ScubaPro also seems to have used at some point. There might be others that I am unaware of.

From what I read, it looks like the Halcyon style design lets you insert a Halcyon weight in there. That part is tempting now that I am trying to avoid carrying a weight belt as much as possible with cold water diving. However, it is not a strong enough reason for me to switch.

I do think like the idea of an STA, as in it gives me (as a non doubles diver for now) some stability. My main problem with my current setup is that I seem to have to tighten the wing nuts every dive or the tank sways side to side (i.e. on a plane perpendicular to my trim). It is not even clear how the wing nuts are getting loose. I tried switching over to thumbwheels instead of wing nuts, but that didn't really help. The answer might be that this is something to incorporate into a pre-dive checklist and do it every time. Nevertheless, I have to ask, would this be avoided by an alternate design in the STA itself? If so, am I missing something or is this just a common fact of BP/W diving that everyone just works with.

I guess I don’t see the issue. I use delrin thumbwheels and tighten them before each use. When I swap tanks between dives I retighten. Never have an issue with a floppy tank.

My main problem with my current setup is that I seem to have to tighten the wing nuts every dive or the tank sways side to side
Are you using lock washers under the wing nuts? I assemble my gear at the beginning of a week long liveaboard trip and rarely have to tighten the nuts after that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom