Info Single Tank Adapter - CAD 6mm Plate design

Should I post more content like this?

• YEAH!

• Eh, there is enough alredy.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

609shadow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I do believe that this is the best place for this. I created a new Onshape cad file that I think you guys might like. Yep, another single tank adapter. HOWEVER there are a few things to note about this one.

Firstly, This thing is BEEFY. I designed it in an effort to add more weight to the plate in a streamlined manner.

This Single Tank Adapter designed to be exported and sent to a company such as "SendCutSend".

The plate used in the design is the 6.3 mm 316 Stainless steel plate (0.250 in) plate should be just under 5lbs with no hardware. However there are many thickness to choose from.

IF you still for some reason needed to add more weight, one can slip a Highland V weight pouch between the mount hardware and the STA on the tank side. There is close to 1/2" of space between the STA and tank strap with a 40º bend. If you want to add space you can go as high as 50º Less? Take it down to 25º. Your call!

As far as the bending option. I spec'd it at a 40º bend. However you can choose any degree angle you want. For reference the OMS STA is a 30º bend.

Attachment hardware is 3/8in Carriage bolts with a .38 in square under the rounded head. Why did I make it fit this hardware you may ask? Well, It is the same thread pitch on my doubles tanks. This makes swapping between a STA & Doubles even easier in the event that one of my nuts gets stolen by a squirrel. I have matched hardware.

Standard 2" webbing tank straps. from your favorite shop will mate up perfectly

Additional 1" webbing strap holes at the top & bottom of plate.

OKI! I like the idea, where do I go to get my STA? Well, I recommend checking out SendCutSend. You can then upload the CAD file and be presented with a # of options of material, thickness and that you are looking for. Don't want to use stainless steel? They have aluminum, Want it in a different thickness? Thy have that too. Powder coat you say? Yep thy have it.

Below is the file. Feel free to make a copy and even remix it to fit your hearts content. This file is public and open source. To be used by an individual for that individual. Help our Community to grow and thrive together. Please do not use my design to mass produce. Creative Commons - Non Commercial 4.0
OnShape CAD File
If you like my design remember it is free to you! However if you feel like helping out
buy me a coffee. That way I can sit behind my computer and come up with the next CAD file.
Yes, I will work on special requests

Should I make a full backplate CAD design next? Do you folks have any tips? What do you think? Let me know.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 8.39.54 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 8.39.54 PM.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 7.59.58 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 7.59.58 AM.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 76
This is pretty cool... seems much nicer than the Halcyon weighted STA.

Pricing this out with SendCutSend, a single unit with 0.25" 316 stainless was quoted $179.85 for 1 unit. The price drops to $128.30 each for 2 and keeps going down from there. By the time you get to 10, it's $98.44 each.

If you can find a friend or two who wants one and order together, this is a real bargain compared to the Halcyon STA.

Edit: added the DXF export that I used to get SendCutSend quote.

Attachments

• Part Studio 1 - Flat pattern of 6mmSTA.dxf
    81.5 KB · Views: 61
Yeah I made my MMO by chopping up some strap then in a vice with a hammer
Yeah these utilise the slots in the plate to strangle everything really really tightly

211 IMG_3601a.jpg

And they got spring

No Mr floppy

MMO Made My Own

Get some in ya

This is pretty cool... seems much nicer than the Halcyon weighted STA.

Pricing this out with SendCutSend, a single unit with 0.25" 316 stainless was quoted $179.85 for 1 unit. The price drops to $128.30 each for 2 and keeps going down from there. By the time you get to 10, it's $98.44 each.

If you can find a friend or two who wants one and order together, this is a real bargain compared to the Halcyon STA.
If there is enough interest I can put together a bulk order so we can take advantage of the bulk discount. As for shipping out. That is something that I can accommodate provided each person who orders one covers cost +shipping. that we could chat about in advance. Also, I can post some of my 3d print results. It also might be worth me ordering 1 to see if it comes out the way I expect it to.

Come up with a price and a finished weight and I could be in for sure.

Just some food for thought... that 40 degree bend that gives you room for a weight between the STA and tank also means the tank is pushed further from your back. I dive flat plates, but if I were to go this route I'd probably do the shallowest angle that still stabilized the tank (therefore minimizing the spacing away from the back) and put any V weights in the channel on the plate.

Of course, my advice is always worth what you paid for it!

Respectfully,

James

if I were to go this route I'd probably do the shallowest angle that still stabilized the tank (therefore minimizing the spacing away from the back) and put any V weights in the channel on the plate.
Ah, that's a good point. I think many of the commercial V-weights are intended to be installed between twin cylinders or into the channel.

I would be interested in this as well.

Couple of my own homemade adapter, SS one can do 72 -8 inch tank no problem.
Plastic one is 4 inch abs cut on a tablesaw

Attachments

• 20231107_130306.jpg
    20231107_130306.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20231107_130250.jpg
    20231107_130250.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 48
To Update: I worked up some 3D prints of the STA. The 1st one I printed, I downsized things to 1" and made the angle 45 deg. My thinking was to attempt to accommodate the V-weight with only partial fill. Well, I talked with more local divers. The feedback was unanimous. ( Silly idea ) SO I am ditching the v-weight idea.

The second one I printed was more true to scale. The difference is the printer used could not accommodate the 15" length so I only printed the ends. These I did take on a dive. They held up. However. The felt feeling is that it would hold the tank just farther away then one would want.

SO! My new thinking on the angle is that the 30deg. That will bring the tank roughly 1" closer to the plate than the 40deg and 1.5-2" closer than the 45deg.
To see clearance of carriage bolt head, I test fit some pink webbing. The next print I run will be full size exact pull from original cad file just changing the bend angles to 30deg. IF I can get access to a printer with a build volume 15" that is.

Attachments

• IMG_7062.JPG
    IMG_7062.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7061.JPG
    IMG_7061.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7060.JPG
    IMG_7060.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 57
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back