OMS LP 125 as doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H20man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all
Just wondering if any of you out there dive these bad boys as doubles.

I have two of these and was wondering how much of a PITA it is to dive with them as doubles, mainly boat dives.

I've read on here that the problem would be climbing back up the ladder with them, could handle one no problem.

I live in Miami and do all of my diving from the keys to Pompano in a full 3mm wetsuit.

I want to get into tech diving later on but was contemplating doubling these up (which would be the cheaper way to go) or buying a pair of 100s and doubling them up instead and just keeping these as singles.

Whatcha guys think???

I have some that I tried as back mounted doubles. I couldn't really tell the difference in weight between them and lp 108's. But I did have a hard time trimming them out until I burnt about 500 psi out of the cave fill. I just stuck with my 108's. I have taken them apart and like them for sidemount better than my 108's. I am 6'4" and 230 lbs if this helps.

I think with a 3 mm wetsuit and less than 50 dives....keep them single. Unless you are very fat, you will be very negative with those tanks. I doubt you can swim them up (if the bc fails) . If you choose to dive that rig, you will want a double bladder Bc,,, I think. .

Well later on when i get some tech training i will be using a drysuit, i have one but haven't used it yet.

The price of a double set (especially in florida) compared with other expenses while going technical route is just a small portion :)

If you have a titanium back you can try doubling them up :) Those are monstrous tanks when doubled IMHO. And also far from the best while ocean diving. Besides you will need to have a backup buoyancy device (dry suit or double bladder) to dive them.

Hi all
Just wondering if any of you out there dive these bad boys as doubles.

I have two of these and was wondering how much of a PITA it is to dive with them as doubles, mainly boat dives.

I've read on here that the problem would be climbing back up the ladder with them, could handle one no problem.

I live in Miami and do all of my diving from the keys to Pompano in a full 3mm wetsuit.

I want to get into tech diving later on but was contemplating doubling these up (which would be the cheaper way to go) or buying a pair of 100s and doubling them up instead and just keeping these as singles.

Whatcha guys think???

Put an H-valve on them and use them that way you will get some decent dives on them like that and I would get double LP 85's but then again I am interested in some LP 120's. for some scooter dives but for most swim dives I would like to use LP 85's.

I wouldn't double them up unless I was in a dry suit.

I'd use double AL80s if you're in a 3mm. They're cheap, easy to man-handle, and more appropriate for wet suit diving.

Try your desired set up in a pool first with someone there for safety. See how the rig trims and get the feel for it before jumping into the open water, redundant bouyancy is a great plan as mentioned. I dive HP 120s sidemount with no problems. I'm 6'2" and 205lbs. Keep us posted.

Try your desired set up in a pool first with someone there for safety. See how the rig trims and get the feel for it before jumping into the open water, redundant bouyancy is a great plan as mentioned. I dive HP 120s sidemount with no problems. I'm 6'2" and 205lbs. Keep us posted.

That's a good idea but since I don't have access to a pool I'll maybe try a shore dive with it to see if it's bearable.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using Tapatalk 2

Unless you're a big fella along the order of Brian Urlacher, the question with diving doubled 125's is not if you will mess up your back, it's when you will eff yourself up.
I got two single LP 125's a long time ago after a guy in Tampa crunched his back diving them doubled. I used them for a few years, but they were always awkward to carry even as singles because they were so long. Plus the guy who used to fill them to 4500 psi for me quit diving and became a transmission repairman.
I use single HP120's now - all of my primary tanks are now 7.25" diameter to fit my boat tank racks. My doubles, which I have not used for years, are twin LP85's. Good luck with the bombs if you go for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom