OMS VR3 or HS Explorer???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm trying to only purchase one computer that will last longer than 2-3 years before it become obsolete. I've narrowed it down to the OMS VR3 and the HS Explorer, and was wondering if anyone has one and what they think.

Thanks-
Chris

I'm Sorry if you want it to be current in two years you will need to get in a time machine. Of course you could always fall back on the good computer that updates it's self.

Both asked about currently have upload capabilities and can be upgraded over the internet. Both have lots of options and handle several gasses and dive plans. Both have their good points and bad.

What is it you want to do?

chrisc:
I'm trying to only purchase one computer that will last longer than 2-3 years before it become obsolete. I've narrowed it down to the OMS VR3 and the HS Explorer, and was wondering if anyone has one and what they think.
Thanks-Chris

Chris,

I have one of each, and here is what I like about them.

(1) The VR-3 is darned near indestructible, with its aluminum case.

(2) The H-S Explorer uses a full iteration of RGBM, as well as having a Buhlmann model.

(3) Both are multi-functional, and multi-gas capable.

(4) Both are software expandable.

(5) Both offer functionality up to and including PPO2 separate sensor.

(6) The H-S has an extremely large and readable display.

Tough choice, eh?

BJD

BigJetDriver69:

All my deco is done on cut tables from VPlanner. Nary a niggle from these at +1.

I've heard the HS has a fairly "conservative" algorithm by comparison. Have you seen this?

Also, I have heard of irregular reliability while underwater. Any experience with this? If so, at what rate (% of dives with a system hiccup)?

Am considering a HS and worried about it adding to workload rather than relieving it. I guess the same stament could be made for the VR3, although price and button issues have steered me away there.

All the best, James

I'm going to be wringing out my HS explorer the week of March 13-20 down in the Florida caves. Ping me once I get back if I forget about this note.

Roak

I think I'll have to go with the VR3 or VR2. After speeking with HS, they only sell to dealers and there is not one here in Vegas... Any Ideas?

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom