OMS vs Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First: This may sound dumb, but make sure you are using the correct dumps only certain dumps work for the paticular bladder.

- I think so. with wing on my back i was using the left hand inflator hose, the right side was disconected and tucked out of the way (i sucked it empty before the dive) and bottom left side dump. Ie as if it were a normal single bladder configuration.

Second: If you cave configure the main bladder hose, I found that it helped me out imensely as far as getting air out of the BC.

- hows that?

Third: That's really two much wing for those tanks if you are leaving them unbungied. The 100lb wing works much better on the larger tanks because it doesn't wrap around the outside of the tank. Which keeps the air in a position that makes it hard to dump.

- tell me about it, it's not my wing just rental i am trying to figure out what i was doing wrong if anything

Dear Doc, Boogie and others

Wow, I hardy expected to start such a furious debate.

Needless to say, may thanks to those of you who made some very useful comments, certainly putting me into a position to make some informed decisions.

I'm just starting to use the OMS system and not yet into the seriously technical diving.

Fortunately many of these matters are still not serious issues for me, but going forward I'll keep your comments in mind and not go off doing something too stupid....

Thanks again

Mike

...dont know if people dive caves wet or wth steels though...maybe he (or someone) else can clarify...
Generally speaking, this isn't an issue. If you have a wing failure in a cave, you can just crawl out...

Sounds like you are using the correct dump.

Cave configuring is putting a shorter inflator tube on the primary inflator. To do this, you will have to buy the size of inflator of choice. I put an 18" hose on mine. This shorter inflator tube makes it easier to deflat from the inflator. The OMS wings are nice because they don't have a mechanical linkage of anytype (as with most wings), so all you have to do is replace the tube.

Just remember to put the dump as high as you can by rotating slightly to that side so the air can flow over there, and then dipping your head down.

I'm just trying to give you some options that I found made the use of the wing easier. It may come down to the wing is just to big for those paticular tanks. I've used the wing on double steel 72's, and have had a heck of a time trying to dump air out of them just like you say you are having. You can manage with it if you need to, but I would suggest a smaller wing for those tanks.

Hope this helps.

Ben

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom