On Bonaire 12-20 March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I'm waiting in the Cruacao airport, I thought I'd relate our experience on the return trip from Bonaire to Curacao on Insel Air. Milo left Saturday, and was 3.8 kg over weight on his checked bag. He was successful in talking them out of any additional fee. I left yesterday (Sunday). We both flew on the small turbo-prop. I was at 43 kg checked baggage. They wanted to charge me for 23 kg extra baggage weight. I reminded them that I was allowed 10kg for scuba gear. They asked if I had scuba gear. I told them that was what was in the scuba duffel bag. They then told me I was still responsible for 13 kg excess. I paid the $39.00. To me, it was worth it, to have all my dive gear. I would probably do the same next time, with the only exception is that if I had a choice of flights on Insel (different times) I would aim at a flight with the MD-80 only for the extra 10 kg luggage allowance. The flight is so short and quick, I didn't mind the small aircraft at all.

One other thing: I was used to US airlines weighing each bag individually, and none could exceed 50 lbs. I therefore took great pains in distributing my weight between bags for the Insel flight. I tried to keep the scuba bag as close to 10 kg as possible, since the website indicates that each additional kg is US$5.00. The extra weight of the regular checked baggage is US$3.00. I then redistributed the weight for more convenience on US flights upon arrival. I found all this unnecessary. On my flights, both Insel weighed all my luggage together, making distribution among bags unnecessary. This really makes more sense, since the aircraft doesn't care which bag the weight is in - just the total.

Nice reports and the Insel information is much appreciated. Called their US number and spoke a woman who was very helpful. She confirmed what you had said, and I am for sure going to have to pack much leaner than I ever have when going into Bonaire. Still manageable, though I won't be taking any "extras" or much spare stuff. Again, thanks for the info!!

Remember to check, if you have a choice of departure times (I had the choice, but didn't know better) to check which plane is flying. If you pick the MD-80, you automatically get 10kg more checked baggage, and full "carry on" meaning overhead and under seat storage.

Back
Top Bottom