On no island like Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....and you guys would make head-way if you made your statements and then kept quiet. But, by bashing, and bashing, and bashing, and bashing, and bashing, you become comical versions of gloom-and-doom to the point of being comedians in each thread where everyone understands you have little to no knowledge of what you keep harping on....cool tech

Why do you not follow your own advice? mfinely is not bashing but simply pointing out how much you guys are white washing the crime problem on Bonaire. He/she is just pointing out reality and you are adding to the pixie dusting.:shakehead:

Over and over and over and over and over and over and over... until it becomes too comical to understand, you continue, continue, continue, continue, continue, continue.... to bash, to bash, to bash, to bash, to bash, to bash... until, even your "to bash" becomes comical cool tech

And you are the complete opposite of this: white wash, white wash, white wash, pixie dust, pixie dust, pixie dust. Your white washing would be comical, if it were not so serious.

I had to "un-block" this poster in order to respond. I will add this poster back onto my block list once this is done....

I think this is why there are parental controls available to stop kids from accessing the internet.

I'm hankering fer another (my 5th) Bonaire dive trip later this year, but it turns out I have flights to California already paid for, so I think I'll hop over either to Maui or Big Island fer a week of (mostly) shore-diving in place of Bonaire this year :depressed:
Regardless of the ill-considered comments in this thread about locking yer vehicle with windows up and valuables inside while shore diving, I think I'll take the Bonaire shore-diver approach to vehicle and property preservation.
Anyone who disagrees with this approach is just plain nuts...

We are getting ready for our 9th trip to Bonaire in the last 15 years. We have stayed at the Bonaire Beach Bungalows (now torn down), Buddy Dive, the Plaza, and Sand Dollar. This time we will be staying at Belmar. I have over 200 logged dives on the island, with the vast majority being places we drove to. We have never had anything stolen from the truck. Not once.

We leave the windows down, the truck unlocked, and take the keys with us. We leave nothing in the truck (except for some fresh water in re-tasked 2 liter soda bottles - makes a great post dive rinse).

I do think that the island has more than it's share of petty theft, but I think the cause of it is somewhat contingent on the very thing that makes Bonaire so wonderful to dive: incredibly easy and isolated dive sites that one can literally drive to.

Regardless of the ill-considered comments in this thread about locking yer vehicle with windows up and valuables inside while shore diving, I think I'll take the Bonaire shore-diver approach to vehicle and property preservation.
Anyone who disagrees with this approach is just plain nuts...

I agree. It's a shame, but it seems to be the sad truth on the island.

And I'm Glad Diver Vince was unscathed in his 3 week Bonaire Safari, sorry for the other 12 people who didn't fair as well >>>>

I was with this group, but was not present on Thursday when the "capture" occurred.

It started when we arrived at Karpata on Sunday. Divers from the trucks we parked next to told us they had their shorts and t-shirts and hats and shoes taken. Then, about 15 minutes later, another group with about 6 trucks parked on the other side of the road returned from their dive and told us they had things stolen also. Shortly after that a "security guard" pulled up. He wanted to know what cameras and valuables we were leaving in our truck. We thought that odd, but responded truthfully that we didn't have any valuables and I had forgot my camera back at the hotel. At the same time, divers from the second group that was robbed, the first group had already left, came over to report the crime. Apparently that security guard was there when they went down the steps. He was not interested in their complaint at all. In fact, he kind of laughed at it (presumably since they were instructed not to leave anything of value). That was even more odd to me. I knew they couldn't do much about the theft, but thought they would take info for statistics or something.

When we returned from the dive, we found that our cooler with water/drinks were missing, and a basic save-a-dive kit was gone. So was the "security guard". We reported this to our dive op, knowing that not much investigation would occur. The value of lost items was minimal, but the thought that three separate thefts had taken place the same afternoon, at the same dive site, while security was present (off and on) seemed more organized than random. I was asked about the vehicle the security guard was driving, along with descriptions since there had been a security or police or someone with authority leading robberies in the past. We didn't had a lot of that info.

On Tues, about 5 trucks of us from this group surfaced at Ol' Blue (Toto). I found the same security guard, driving a different vehicle, checking out our trucks. He said he was making sure we didn't have any valuables to be stolen. When I commented that I knew him, and he was at Karpata when we had items stolen, he just laughed and said he remembered that incident. That's when we really became suspicious. I engaged him while another from the group searched his truck. We hoped to find cameras and dive related equipment, but didn't find anything. This time we noted the company name on his shirt, and the truck plate number. This was also reported to the Dive Op, and they were invited to the police station to present what we had found.

Then, on Thursday, some of our group found some kids hiding in the brush behind the ruins at Karpata. There was also a car(s) going around to what looked like to the group, to help pick up these kids. The group cornered the kids, and "captured" one. The same security company showed up (different person though) and was asked to call the police. The leader of our dive group speaks fluent Spanish, and heard this security officer call someone, and say that he was asked to call the police. Then he heard the officer say that he would tell us that the police were called, but couldn't respond, or something to that effect. That's when the leader called the dive shop again, and they in turn called the police. The group didn't have the police phone number with them. As I understand it, the kid they captured (I only heard of one captured, but there was more involved) also called his mom on his phone. His mom was there when three police vehicles arrived. They found a couple bikes the kids were using hidden in the brush. This kid was handcuffed. He and his mom were crying. He was transported to the police station. The group followed. They were asked to return the following day to sign a complaint, but I don't think any of them did. They either forgot or were diving.

I've mentioned this to two different friends who live on Bonaire. They both told me that nothing can be done with kids, who are simply released to their parents. There are no provisions for holding kids. They have no juvenile detention centers and can not be placed in jail with adults.

I am less concerned about the kids, and the ring leaders who recruit these kids. It is suspected that the kids take the stuff, and then someone with a car comes and picks it up. The biggest concern is that the security guard has either just left before the crime, or just returned after the crime. I believe this security guard is somehow involved. This belief has been escalated to upper level of Bonaire's government. Random theft by kids is one thing, but organized theft by adults - especially adults with whom we place extra trust, is different.

Bottom Line: Be very careful with what you tell the security guard, and be suspicious of any security at dive sites. When I left, it had not yet been determined if this company really was a company, and if so, that it was hired or had authority to patrol dive sites.

a)Did you have the windows rolled up and locked?

b)Did you leave the windows rolled down, truck unlocked and nothing of value in it?

b: These are the same recommendations you get when shore diving in Maui. So what? I can't wait to get to dive in Bonaire.

b: These are the same recommendations you get when shore diving in Maui. So what? I can't wait to get to dive in Bonaire.

Why is that? Because there is an abnormal amount of crime?

The answer to your 'so what' is you're making my point.

I don't think I ever said there was below average crime on Bonaire did I?

We're back on Bonaire in May for 2 more weeks. It'll only be our 6th time (and 12 weeks total) but with all the pixie dust flying around, who's counting? I can see if someone went there, didn't like the diving or had a bad experience, crime related or otherwise, that they wouldn't go back. Heck, they might even want to "warn" others not to go but if they were honest about it, they would probably quit there. It's the ranters & bashers I just can't figure. They offer no experience "credentials" when asked directly how much, or even if, they have ever been to Bonaire and then tee off on someone who tries to say what a great time they had and hope to go back. I would chalk it up to boredom or simple mischieviousness but a few of you flog the place so much I am thinking there is more to it.

Crime, yeah. It's there. Welcome to the planet Earth in the year 2010. You know, if you did go to Bonaire, one thing you would tumble to; it ain't the US of A and the crime level there is pretty minor in comparison. A whole lot less violent and senseless too. So what though? I go to dive and have a great time while there. You few who seem to need something to kick will keep kicking but if someone is reading these recurring threads and thinks "Gee, I dunno--there must be something to the crime thing on Bonaire, they are ALWAYS bringing it up on SB" well, consider the sources.

You have a few bashers who haven't apparently even been there, a few folks (relatively speaking) who may have run into theft (a world-wide phenomena) or other problems there, so they have legit gripes and then there are a whole bunch of happy folks who enjoyed the heck out of Bonaire and can't wait to go back. Choose your source, huh? If you don't want to go, please don't. It'll mean more pixie dust for the rest of us who do go. :eyebrow: // ww

We're back on Bonaire in May for 2 more weeks. It'll only be our 6th time (and 12 weeks total) but with all the pixie dust flying around, who's counting? I can see if someone went there, didn't like the diving or had a bad experience, crime related or otherwise, that they wouldn't go back. Heck, they might even want to "warn" others not to go but if they were honest about it, they would probably quit there. It's the ranters & bashers I just can't figure. They offer no experience "credentials" when asked directly how much, or even if, they have ever been to Bonaire and then tee off on someone who tries to say what a great time they had and hope to go back. I would chalk it up to boredom or simple mischieviousness but a few of you flog the place so much I am thinking there is more to it.

Crime, yeah. It's there. Welcome to the planet Earth in the year 2010. You know, if you did go to Bonaire, one thing you would tumble to; it ain't the US of A and the crime level there is pretty minor in comparison. A whole lot less violent and senseless too. So what though? I go to dive and have a great time while there. You few who seem to need something to kick will keep kicking but if someone is reading these recurring threads and thinks "Gee, I dunno--there must be something to the crime thing on Bonaire, they are ALWAYS bringing it up on SB" well, consider the sources.

You have a few bashers who haven't apparently even been there, a few folks (relatively speaking) who may have run into theft (a world-wide phenomena) or other problems there, so they have legit gripes and then there are a whole bunch of happy folks who enjoyed the heck out of Bonaire and can't wait to go back. Choose your source, huh? If you don't want to go, please don't. It'll mean more pixie dust for the rest of us who do go. :eyebrow: // ww
How dare you "White Wash" the master criminal plan for people who have been there once... or less... :popcorn:

I agree. It's a shame, but it seems to be the sad truth on the island.

And I'm Glad Diver Vince was unscathed in his 3 week Bonaire Safari, sorry for the other 12 people who didn't fair as well >>>>

Ummm..Thanks for your concern. Yes it's true I had no issues whatsoever in my last trip of 3 weeks during Feb/March of this year, however basically we've been unscathed in our 25 years of traveling to Bonaire. I think that's a much more accurate representation of just how safe Bonaire really is, despite the rantings of a few pinheads on this board.
And even after traveling so extensively to Bonaire, I can't wait to return again in July for some more fantastic diving, spectacular sunsets and some great dining experiences. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom