On Our Way to Sangalaki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are off for a dive trip to Sangalaki Island. We'll be there from 19-27 Oct.

A week ago I was very excited at the prospect of sending this email announcing our diving vacation. Today I'm not so sure about this trip but we have decided to go ahead with our plans. Our travel plans do not take us anywhere near Bali and we are actually flying into and out of Malaysia and taking the high speed ferry from Tawau to Tarakan vice flying into Berau.

Since we will be spending only 2 nights in Tarakan (1 night going to the island and 1 night after departing Sangalaki) we won't have all that much exposure.

We have our fingers crossed and will let you know how the trip went after we get back.

Rickg

Hi Rick,

U shud do fine. Tarakan and Sanglaki are non crowded areas, in fact very backwards. If terrorist wants to make a statement, these two places don't qualify.

Have a good dive.

IyaDiver once bubbled...
Hi Rick,

U shud do fine. Tarakan and Sanglaki are non crowded areas, in fact very backwards. If terrorist wants to make a statement, these two places don't qualify.

Have a good dive.

IyaDiver,

That was our thoughts also. I understand that Tarakan is a backwater frontier-type town with very little foreigner presence so I think you are "right on" when you say Tarakan doesn't qualify and Sangalaki is a long boat ride (even on a fast boat) from the coast which I think puts it way down on the list for anyone wanting to make a statement. There are a lot more convenient places than these two.

We are hoping for a good trip. As of 5 days ago, the resort manager emailed me that they were seeing lots of mantas (considerably more than the normal #s) lately. We have our fingers crossed.

Rickg

I am based in Jakarta, even I don't go to Tarakan....too far...he he he. It is a sleepy old fishing town and the diving there seems fantastic, same sea area as the Sipadan. Indonesia is so big, Bali is just too famous and crowded.

Ur timing shud be just fine cause it will be West Monsoon in a short while. Anyway have fun, brings a lot of sunblock and hope u see those Mantas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom