? on SSB-2010 users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggy1

Reaction score
I have a question to all those using the OTS SSB-2010 wireless comm unit,..... Where do you mount your unit at? I've seen where some mount it to their upper arm, "bicep area", and then some on the front of their BCD. We really didnt want it on the front of the BCD if at all possible because we are usually face down near the mud bottom. I ran the ssb-2010 clip under my upper tank strap and then tried everything on and checked for range of motion and stuff and it seems like it will work fine and still be out of all the mud and muck. Also,... for those that mount it to your upper bicep area, what do you use to attach it with and do you have any problems with tangling your lines and stuff?

Johnny M.

We use the SSB-1001b model. We mount ours on the top tank strap. If when wearing a tank, your head is 12 o'clock, we wear it in the 9 o'clock position. Like you we didn't want it in front of us for the reasons you mentioned. Plus with being on the bottom chances are you are deeper than your topside transducer so you are not between it and your unit. We have dove this way for years now without issue.

I have attached it to a tank band and also on my waist strap on a BP/W set-up. I have the push to talk PTT attached to the harness wbbing with a large rubberband cut from an innertube.

Most teams I am familiar with mount the wireless comm box on the tank strap, either in the 3 or 9 o'clock position, as previously described. The band that Innovative Dive Equipment sells is designed to allow the comm box to be switched easily from one SCUBA assembly to another without having to un-cam the backpack. For teams that store their SCUBA units pre-assembled, the bracket allows the comm boxes to be stored in a protected location, then quickly attached to the scuba unit. Again, without having to take time to un-cam the backpack. Safe diving!

We mount our units on the upper tank strap using the aforementioned bracket. This puts the unit at the highest point on the diver. We did try alternative mounting locations and found if you mount it anywhere on the front of the diver, the diver's body will interfere with the signal in certain situations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom