On the wrist or in a console ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gentlegiant

Contributor
Reaction score
Do you prefer to have your dive computer on your wrist or in a console for normal recreational diving?

I dive the Vyper and just switched from having it in a console with my comapss and SPG to having it on my wrist. Even though I had it on a retractor I go tired of having to hold the whole console up just to see any of the information. I now carry the compass in a BC pocket (thinking of going to a slate mount) and have the SPG clipped off to a D-ring. I like the setup better.

I'm in the process of moving both of my computers and my compass to my wrists from a console, and converting to a DIR-style SPG setup.

My only concern about having my computers on my wrists is when/if the band on one of them breaks, and the computer falls into the abyss.

For what it's worth.
I keep my primary computer (Oceanic Versa Pro) on my right wrist, and my backup computer (Oceanic DataPlus) in my console. Easy to see this way, especially if hanging on a line during the safety stop. Access your SPG with your left hand. I have a wrist mount compass (Uwatec) which I wear sometimes on my wrist and sometimes wear with a brass snap loop clipped to the BC and the wrist strap threaded through the ring on the other end. This is kind of nice because you can pull it out enough for the occasional look, or unclip it it and hold it in your hand when you're seriously working with it. That's really the best way to use a compass...outstretched in your hands. I like this a lot better than a retractor. Clip it back when done. Keep trying different ways until you find a setup that works for you. Moxie

Two ways to avoid that - A) Look at the straps before you dive or B) change the strap to bungie cords.

Eric

Met -- one solution.....if you use a computer with 2 bungee loops on your wrist, you'll have redundancy if one bungee loop breaks

c-briggs -- try the compass on your wrist too -- you'll like it (I use Vyper on right wrist and compass on left)

Lost Yooper had info on bungie wrist straps for computers in a recent thread. Seems to solve the problem that I was worried about, which is losing an expensive computer due to the strap pin breaking. A large wave could still probably strip it off your wrist, though - especially at Monastery!

I have two Oceanic DataPlus modules and an Oceanic modular compass. I haven't found anything suitable for the compass yet, but I have two one-piece rubber wrist mounts for the computers.

I guess I have to worry less about them breaking than I do about them accidentally unfastening. That's probably not a big deal, but strapping and unstrapping them is a pain in a drysuit with heavy gloves. Wonder how the rubber would hold up if I were to amputate the straps and drill small holes for the bungee cords?

Any suggestions for the compass?

Here are some pictures that Yoop posted on that thread mentioned above. This is not how i did it with my Vyper & Suunto compass, since you can pass the bungee right through the bottom of the computer and compass "boots", which seems more secure to me.

Still, this provides an option that is provides security in the event that one of the pins fails and is pretty easy to get on with heavy gloves, even over a heavy wetsuit or drysuit.

Regarding getting knocked off -- if you set the bungees right and you are wearing heavier, longer gloves, it would be virtually impossible to knock it off.

Not sure if you have pins in the units you're wearing, but might be worth a shot.

-Chris

http://63.195.54.253/Bakalite/SCUBA/Gauges/Gaugesbungee.html

I checked those out, but my wrist boots are dissimilar. They're one-piece soft rubber units (no pins, etc). The computers themselves are cylindrical clear plastic, with no attachment points whatsoever. They're designed to drop into a console or wrist unit and fit tightly. I suspect they might tear under the pressures of the bungees if I went that route.

I have tried various wrist mount computers, and always found them bulky and clumsy. However, I recently started using a Stinger and have fallen in love!!! It's small enough that you don't bang it into things. As far as it falling off, either pull a glove over it (its for back up anyway). regardless, I know many people who dive with wrist mounts (I work in a dive shop) and have never heard of anyone losing one.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom