Once a tank valve is o2 cleaned, is the o2 rating good for 1 year, or several years??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noj3333

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a few tanks last month, and I asked the seller to get a VIP on them, so I could use them right away. The seller did this and had them o2 cleaned as well.

My question is…

Once the valve is o2 cleaned, does it maintain this rating for more than a year? Or, do I have to pay for o2 cleaning every year with my visual inspection (to maintain the o2 rating)?

On a side note… it’s my understanding that o2 cleaning involves using some oxygen safe lubricants/ O-rings inside the valve. With that, it should be o2 safe, until the valve needs a service that would include changing the old o2 safe lube and O-rings… correct?

if you don't use non hyper pure air , or bad air . it should be good for a year , I was told (by my o ring supplier )you should not leave christolube on a Viton o ring for more than a year , don't know about epdm but I don't normally (o2 clean the tank if im doing a vip on my own tank as I know the quality of my air ) but a lds may insist on it only being o2 clean for a year .....again its one of those "my compressor my rules "

Regardless of whether the inspection was for "air" or for being "O2 clean" it means that on that date the cylinder met the standards. What happens after that is up to you and the fill station. A cylinder can remain "O2 clean" by using Mod. Grade E Air (aka Oxygen Compatible Air). A shop as part of the inspection may or may not require a cylinder and valve be cleaned or just do an inspection for contamination. Also just because you are getting a NITROX fill do not assume that it would meet the standard for Mod. Grade E Air (the O2 percentage aside).

Kinda tricky to give a straight answer. It's basically O2 clean when its O2 cleaned, after that is a crap shoot based upon time and when/where/what type of fills one gets. Most folks re-clean it annually and most shops respect it as an annual rating. As I do my own VIPs and cleanings (yes, I have the certs) I do all my tanks yearly myself to keep costs down.

silly............... isn't that what I said

lol eh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom