One dead at Cow Springs - Live Oak, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Putting a backup regulator within the golden triangle is a pretty good piece of advice. I nearly gacked myself about eight years ago even though I had a BOV, the QC6 which fed my BOV had become disconnected and there was little gas in the loop. Thankfully I had a necklace reg that I was able to pop in my mouth.
came disconnected under pressure? maybe it wasn't pushed in correctly to start?

You have no way of knowing that ether.
The converse is also true. It's my understanding that IPE makes you more prone to toxing as well.

came disconnected under pressure? maybe it wasn't pushed in correctly to start?
Could be ether.
I've had the omniswivel QDs lock on without allowing gas flow.
Was neither if I remember correctly, it was dislodged/disengaged in a restriction.
Ken will confirm or correct me of course, I'm just responding because either way, the QC6s connectors can be disconnected by just pulling the sleeve down, I became aware of that from Ken of course.

I dont know the area so this is a specualtion

goes to do the dive - gets his jump reel to connect up to main line - notices his HUD showing danger - tries to close his loop and switch to regulator only partially successful as DSV knob falls off -still has spool in his hand now has water in loop so he drops the spool to get the regulator which gets tangled -goes to get the second reg- doesn't make it and drowns

Not an elctronic expert but if the HUD was connected to the cells via a splitter and the ends of the cable had been cut could it have shorted out and shown the MV readings a 0 hence urgency in BO thinking he has a hypoxic loop ( or maybe was hypoxic we don't know )

its reasonable to assume a level of panic was involved

The converse is also true. It's my understanding that IPE makes you more prone to toxing as well.
Care to quote your source on that?

Perhaps youre thinking of hypercapnia

Care to quote your source on that?
Just from discussions I've had with various physicians over the years.

If you don't have any oxygen entering the loop 10-15 minutes is just about the right time for a diver to go hypoxic in shallow water. When you notice the tunel vision and general fuzzines it's a matter of seconds before you lose conciousness. We don't know if the o2 tank was empty from the begginging of the dive, or just from the way the rebreather worked.

I almost died that way, due to my own stupidity.

I dont know the area so this is a specualtion

goes to do the dive - gets his jump reel to connect up to main line - notices his HUD showing danger - tries to close his loop and switch to regulator only partially successful as DSV knob falls off -still has spool in his hand now has water in loop so he drops the spool to get the regulator which gets tangled -goes to get the second reg- doesn't make it and drowns

Not an elctronic expert but if the HUD was connected to the cells via a splitter and the ends of the cable had been cut could it have shorted out and shown the MV readings a 0 hence urgency in BO thinking he has a hypoxic loop ( or maybe was hypoxic we don't know )

its reasonable to assume a level of panic was involved

I'm betting he passed out quickly. And the half off broken DSV is from floating around in the cave.

Or maybe one last flail to close it, broke it, and then attempt to get to a reg. But too little, too late.

I'm betting he passed out quickly. And the half off broken DSV is from floating around in the cave.

Or maybe one last flail to close it, broke it, and then attempt to get to a reg. But too little, too late.
Unlikely on both counts.
Don't think diver would be floating around in the cave, but even if he was, unlikely a lever attached to a loop hose would get pinned down somewhere to cause it break.

There's no "then attempt to get to a reg" after trying to close a DSV, closing a DSV means you cut off gas supply to you, so, getting to a reg is a thought that precedes the thought of closing the DSV.
You make the decision to close the DSV AFTER you made de decision to go open circuit, and you make a decision to go open circuit because you NEED to get off closed circuit, not being able to close the DSV doesn't eliminate the NEED to get off of it, whether you can close it or not you shouldn't keep you from spitting it out of your mouth.

Whether he NEEDED to bailout or not is speculation, I don't think there's enough information to know that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom