One dead, one injured - Pensacola Beach, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow 18%EF? I would think that you would notice sx's like SOB, fatigue, dizziness, chest pain, possibly passing out due to low B/P... With an EF that low, you are lucky that your heart recovered its function... So did you have myocarditis?

Like most of us I assume, I tend to not listen very well to my body, and just keep going. I've gotten better about that though!
I did have shortness of breath a couple of times I noticed, while walking up-hill. Just figured it was me getting older or being lazy. Fatigue, maybe a little but not much. No chest pain at all, but some dizziness sometimes after coughing. I didn't know what that was all about.
I don't recall myocarditis being mentioned, but they did say cardiomyopathy a time or two. My issue was caused by the virus I caught, which we think was brought back by my son and his wife after their trip to Europe in February 2019. I got a deep chest cough that lasted for a couple of months. I work as a photographer, but was on hiatus during this time, so with the exception of a trip we took to Cuba, and some yard work around the house, (and walking a few miles sometimes), I was taking it pretty easy.
I noticed some brief, minor gurgling sounds while breathing after a dive two weeks before my IPE, but it didn't happen a week later when I did another dive. Then the following week, things got bad.
My wife said that cave diving probably saved my life in this case, as it made us aware that I had this issue. I was thoroughly checked over at the hospital for the week I was there, with every cardio test you can imagine being done. I was fine except for the very low EF. After a week in hospital, and a couple of months taking it easy, (along with some heart medicine), they saw an improvement with my EF which eventually got back to 100 percent.
I want others to know about this, so they can be aware of it. I've been back to my technical diving since January 2020, with no issues. I do not want to feel again like I did that day before, and after I surfaced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom