One handed computer backlight operation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find that when shining your light on any instrument, it anvariably reflects in your eyes to some degree, temporarily reducing your night vision.

Is a backlight equipped computer really easier to use on a night dive than a computer with no backlight?

What are they/you doing with this other hand?

Are you a backlight user or a light flasher?

Well, with the Mares M1/M2 you can just switch the backlight on once at the start of the dive and it stays on for the rest of the dive. Much easier.

Ok, seriously, I have to ask. What is the deal?

In numerous posts over the years, people have made comments about not wanting a computer without a backlight because they would have to shine their light on it during night dives and then two hands would be needed to do that.

My primary light is too bright. Shine that on my computer and it just reflects off the case making it near unreadable. Plus that reflection tends to destroy some night vision.

I much prefer the subdued blue backlight of my computer (set to stay for 30 seconds). It means i can read my gauges without taking my light off what im trying to look at or signal and doesnt kill some night vision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom