one more camera gone...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hvulin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
it was my mistake (I geared up too fast and didn't check everything)...

when I was at 20m depth I noticed that my Canon S45 was already half in water!

too bad... (it was already old but...)

I guess I'll go and get a used S45 or S50 after I check out the empty case and continue to shoot...

just a reminder for the others: allways check twice!

Ouch!! Nije dobro!!

Well, at 20m depth, the case should stop filling after it was 3/4 full of water, right? :D

I just got my first digital camera, and intend on using it underwater with a housing. But I'm really paranoid about flooding.

Other than the usual advice on maintaining and checking o-rings, is there anything that can be done to alert a diver that flooding was occurring? I assume that if the very beginnings of flooding can be detected early enough -- and at less than safety-stop depths -- it would be possible to save the camera with immediate surfacing. I've heard of alarms. I suppose keeping a close eye on the camera case while descending would help.

Is there any kind of chemically-treated material that can be put into the bottom of a camera case, that would turn a vivid color when it starts getting damp?

I always check the camera housing out in the rinse tank first. I even snap a few photos just to make sure nothing leaks when stress is put on the orings. One time, I noticed some water in the bottom, but it hadn't reached the camera yet, so I had time to fix the orings.

Sorry my friend. I have been there myself.

56.gif

Marek K:
Is there any kind of chemically-treated material that can be put into the bottom of a camera case, that would turn a vivid color when it starts getting damp?

This company sells a leak detector for what it's worth.

I use this in my housing in the hopes it will help should I catch a small leak immediately.

:( Sorry to hear about your loss!

I check my orings and all seals very carefully when I set up, then again when I prepare to enter the water, and again when I enter the water, and still again as I head down...and I've been known to have a little look again once I am down there :) I'm not paranoid but I know that it only takes a small error to ruin my dive!

So far I've been lucky!

Only opening the housing under nice, controlled, well lit conditions such as a condo or hotel room helps.

I also do a leak test in a sink, or a tall juice pitcher, after closing up the housing. First a few seconds to check for gross leaks, then fiddling with the buttons while checking for drips, then leaving it for about a 15 minute soak. So far it's worked, but I still keep my fingers crossed. :)

----

Just look on the bright side Hrvoje, now you have a good excuse to go out and buy a new camera!

So sorry to hear that hvulin :(.
Do you have any insurance on the camera?

Anyway hopefully my super-meticulous checks of orings and housing with magnifying glass prior to dives will prevent a flood!

Best of luck to you and use this as an excuse to get a bigger, badder camera :wink: :wink:

Besides usual care, avoiding excessive stress even for a very short time is a good practice. I have seen divers entering water (backroll or giant stride) with the camera on the wrist.

I prefer entering and have someone hand me the camera when I'm in the water.

But there is no such thing as zero risk, so don't buy a camera you can't afford to flood...as people say...

Not a mattter of "if" but a matter of "when". Always hard to see another one go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom