One More New Certified Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AK47Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As of Sunday May 21, I am now a certified Open Water Diver!

The cert dives were at Portage Quarry with Sea The World Scuba - great LDS, great instructors, and it was a great class.

My buoyancy control got better after each dive and by the final dive I was no longer contributing to the silting that was taking place but actually hovering. The only minor problems I had was it took a lot more weight than expected to get me down - instead of 24 it took 30 pounds. The other problem was during mask clearing -- in the pool, no problem I could remove, replace clear any time -- but on the 4th dive I had the worst trouble blowing out my nose to clear. I almost could not make myself push air out my nose- very frustrating, but I eventually got it cleared. No idea why I knew what to do and how to do it and somehow it just wouldn't happen.

Other than that it was a lot of fun - crisp, chill 54 degree water in a full farmer john 7mm, hood and gloves was no problem, except for the occaisional trickle into the suit. Viz was 10-15 feet with very large blue gills swimming by to laughingly tell all the students their buoyancy control sucked and they weren't certified divers yet - they stopped laughing by the end of the 4th dive:10: :10: .

Now on to find some dive budies, get some diving practice, and then to the advanced class.

Way to go! Keep diving and all the new training WILL become second nature,
now about all the training yet to come........
Welcome!
Good Seas
Dave

I noticed the same thing. I got cerified 25 years ago in the Philippines and wore only shorts and a t-shirt with a vintage rig. Had no problems in warm water. Got re-cert recently in cold quarry water and noticed a big difference. Mask is more flexible in warmth. I still have problems sometimes in cold water, 'cause I think mask becomes stiffer in cold water and doesn't form to face as well, plus, it's hard to tell when the mask is overlapping your hood and leaking some. Just dove two quarries in St. Paul, In. today and had a heck of a time with leakage in mask. Some days you're the fly, some days you're the windshield.

Part of the wonder of any endeavour is meeting the challenges it brings and when you meet and suceed with one challenge you feel a great sense of accomplishment then you move to the next. All of your challenges right now will be replaced by new ones as you move along in this wonderful sport. A BIG Congratulations AK...

Congrats - Be careful and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom