one piece of webbing on BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have used a aluminium backplate with a single webbing for years, but last year started to dive it with a drysuit for the first time six months ago. I have found that it is a pain to get on and even worse to get off, mainly because of the drysuit exhaust valve.

I loosened it a little and it barely helps, so I have been considering putting in a quick release buckle, weight belt buckle or double velcro to allow me to at least release one shoulder strap. I figure it would save some serious knife weilding in a rescue situation too.

This seems to be a DIR no no, and I cant for the life of me imagine why, as long as it is strong enough and secure.

Any advice or reccommendations?

cancun mark:
I have used a aluminium backplate with a single webbing for years, but last year started to dive it with a drysuit for the first time six months ago. I have found that it is a pain to get on and even worse to get off, mainly because of the drysuit exhaust valve.

I loosened it a little and it barely helps, so I have been considering putting in a quick release buckle, weight belt buckle or double velcro to allow me to at least release one shoulder strap. I figure it would save some serious knife weilding in a rescue situation too.

This seems to be a DIR no no, and I cant for the life of me imagine why, as long as it is strong enough and secure.

Any advice or reccommendations?

Um, Mark - just insert that arm first, and remove that arm last... no problems. The issue with quick releases isn't IF they will fail, it's WHEN they will fail.

And why even WORRY about a rescue situation??? If you need to get cut out of a harness, it takes less than 3 seconds, and costs you about $8 to replace the webbing. It's not high on my list of things to get concerned about.

I've heard of some folks threading a buckle on the shoulder strap without cutting the webbing, never tried it out myself though.
Maybe there's a new project I can try out next week when I get off the road. :wink:

Have you tried out different techniques for doffing/donning your rig? Sometimes all that's needed is a little adjustment of technique.

I'll second Boogie711's suggestion... I dive with the same setup, I just pop my left arm in first and out last. It took a bit of fooling about to get the hang of it, but it's all good now.

nalfein:
I'll second Boogie711's suggestion... I dive with the same setup, I just pop my left arm in first and out last. It took a bit of fooling about to get the hang of it, but it's all good now.

I, too, follow the same basic technique as Boogie. I put my left arm in first and use my right hand to quide the webbing over the exhaust valve. When I remove the harness I start with the left arm and "chicken wing" to start the process. I also guide the webbing over the exhaust valve with my right hand grasping the D-ring.

I won't go back to quick release fittings, as they are a failure point. Losing one's tanks/wing/BP all at one instant is not conducive to survival.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom