One Problem Sorted - And A New One Arises! Request For Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B.Goodwill

Registered
Reaction score
A while back i posted a thread asking for advice in relation to the poor quality of images when "capturing" video with my editing software. I recieved lots of helpful advice which i very much appreciate.

In the end i bought a Firewire cable, a DVD burner, and Pinnacle Studio Version 9 on a recent trip to Florida, and this has taken care of the problem. When capturing the footage the quality is now great, Pinnacle is a dream to use, really easy despite the fact i do not have a huge amount of editing experience, the only problem i am having is with the bl@@dy DVD burner. It is an external Plextor PX-716UF four layer DVD burner, but when i put even a normal movie DVD in it, the player does not seem to realize there is a DVD in it. The green "reading the DVD light" goes on for a few seconds, and then nothing else happens. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? We have tried pretty much everything including hooking it up to a different computer (same result,) using a USB cable rather than firewire (same result,) using blank DVD's (same result,) i suspect it may have to go back to the manufacturers, which is a pain considering i live in Cayman.

Anyone have any suggestions? (goes to show nothing in life is ever simple!)

Cheers - Bob

Hi Bob,

Let's start with the basics. What operating system is on the computer? XP? When you installed the drive did it recognize it and properly configure it? With the drive powered on, you should see it in My Computer on your desktop. If it's there, select it, then right click and pick Properties, then the Hardware tab. Pick the drive from the list and near the bottom it should say "this device is working properly. If not hit the troubleshooting button and see if that helps.

When you power up the DVD burner do you get a system beepbeep indicating that XP sees the drive? It's the same sound as when you add a USB device.

Do you also have a CD-Writer in the system? If so it's possible that Studio is defaulting to it. When you're in the Make Movie window, pick Disc, then hit the settings button at the top right. You need to change output format to DVD if it isn't already and then make sure that your DVD burner is the selected device in the Media and Device options box. If you don't see it as a choice there, something is not right with your setup or installation.

What software came with the burner? Some version of Nero? If it's the SE or the OEM version, I don't think they include a DVD Player, it's something you'd have to download or buy. So that may explain why your burner doesn't recognize and playback a DVD automatically when it's inserted. I use one called Blaze that I downloaded off the web, there's others as well, including one that ties in to Windows Media Player.

Let me know if this helps, either via reply here or PM.

Steve

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the tips, sjspek i have done everything you have instructed and it all check out ok, i think Pinnacle, my Windows XP and the burner itself are all "talking to each other," as when i am in "make movie" in Pinnacle, after the movie has been rendered the disk tray of the new burner pops out and a message comes up in Pinnacle saying to "inset blank DVD." I then insert the blank DVD (a DVD which is accepted by Plextor,) and nothing else happens. For the model of burner i have (Plextor PX-716UF,) if you have Windows XP you do not need any additional drivers or software, so i am really quite perplexed as to what to do. I have contacted the Plextor technicle helpdesk, had to leave a message on their machine and as of yet they have still not got back to me.

Any other suggestions will be gratefuly recieved!

i feel your pain. your first DVD is always the hardest; getting the right combination can be a real challenge. i won't even attempt to answer your question cos the other folks have already given you great solid advice. but maybe i can point you in the right direction that i've found and used extensively.

http://www.videohelp.com/ - great how to's and TONS of information
http://www.doom9.org - bad name, but good site
http://www.videouniversity.com/forums/gforum.cgi?;category=1 - leans more towards video but has great FORUMS that touch on DVDs

good luck!

Bob,

Sounds like Pinnacle is set up correctly, you described the process exactly.

Using the Roxio software that came with the drive, can you burn anything to the writer? Try just copying some files to it using a new blank DVD. That should tell us if the problem is with the writer or something in your setup.

What happens if you try to install a program using the burner?

Check Device Manager under System in the Windows Control Panel, there should be a listing for IEEE 1394 Host adapters so check that. Since I installed my external DVD-burner last month, I now also have 2 listings under Network Adapters for 1394 Network Adapters, so check that also.

Steve

Dear All :

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, i have just managed to get through to Plextor and they have told me the drive is "no good." So i have to send it back to Plextor, which is a pain considering i live in the Cayman's.

Thanks again for all the advice, i think this was one we were never going to fix though!

Cheers - Bob

Been there, done that.

B.Goodwill:
Dear All :

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, i have just managed to get through to Plextor and they have told me the drive is "no good." So i have to send it back to Plextor, which is a pain considering i live in the Cayman's.

Thanks again for all the advice, i think this was one we were never going to fix though!

Cheers - Bob
That's remarkable that they admitted it was defective right away. They're first supposed to blame it on your computer manufacturer, who then blames Microsoft, and makes you spend hours on hold to determine who's really responsible.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom