Ongoing cave rescue in France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ruoska

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From Cavechat.org • View topic - Cave diving rescue in France

Monday, Oct 4, 4:30 PM ET

"Eric Establie, a French cave diver who left on a difficult exporation dive Sunday morning (French time = + 6 hours from our Eastern US time), has not returned."

"The British rescue dive team returned during the night. They found the passage obstructed by a gravel landslide at 780 meters from the entrance. Eric’s emergency scooter was found wedged in the obstruction, facing the exit. Various clues led to the assumption that Eric had tried but was unable to cross the obstacle, then left his scooter to indicate that he was alive and had returned to a spot out of the water where he could take refuge and wait for rescue."

And today:

"Very good news at 19:00 hours local time.

The divers that went in today found a sign of life from Eric. He has placed a twinset on the same site that they originally found his scooter.

This guy is still diving (from his hide out obviously behind the blockage) and sends us as message! He seems to be anxious for the rescue teams to get him out ;-)"

and

"However: on an even better note; I just saw footage of TF1 (French TV) where the guy in charge of the rescue operation talks about contact via tapping.
SOS and other tapping signals were exchanged by the two divers that went to the 780 meter point and Eric Etablie.
A new dive will be undertaken tonight to bring him supplies (food and gas as I understand it)."

This just might end up being a succesful rescue.

Oh that is amazing news!! Rarely do we hear these stories. I realize that it is not over yet, but just the fact that he is still alive and can communicate must have really raised the spirits of those involved in the rescue.

Picture giving an overview of the situation.
3 is the air pocket where he is most likely staying.
4 is from where they are trying to dig a passage to 3.
1099250_infogspleleo.jpg

Much of the news is in French of course. Two expert cavers from the UK have flown over to assist. TWO members of a Swansea Valley rescue team have flown to France to join the search for a missing cave diver. That article says he could las 3 weeks, which I presume is based on him reaching a ledge above water....?

ardeche_1736070c.jpg
This one Potholer trapped 800 metres under ground for a week 'could be alive' - Telegraph says "Rescuers were clearing rocks from a natural shaft leading to the spot they believe the speleologist is holed up. They were trying to bore a tunnel down wide enough to send him food and messages," but I don't know how accurate the translations were nor the journalism. They seem to confused the target length for the depth?

http://www.20minutes.fr/article/607191/societe-le-speleologue-vivant is in French but here is the rough Google translation...
Does various Rescuers are trying to send food

"More than ever, we are hopeful." Labastide A-de-Virac, rescuers are now convinced that Eric is alive Establie. The caver would have survived the landslide occurred last Sunday in an underground gallery of the gorges of Ardeche.
Yesterday afternoon, two divers were again rushed into the cave. At the height of the landslide, they filed it sealed chambers containing messages, watch, food and oxygen. "You can pass through the rubble cylinders," said Olivier Lanet rescuer. A second team has to dive today to ensure he could pick up the boxes from the air pocket where he took refuge. "We hope it has enough oxygen to dive," said the rescuer.

SOS in Morse
All changed Saturday afternoon. While rescue workers were examining the plateau overlooking the gorge with a vibraphone, they heard shots accidentally hit on a rock. "It can not be reflected, says Eric Zipper, the Cave Rescue. When two blows were struck, a shot was heard in response. When we hit SOS in Morse, there were two shots. "
If they continue to clear a natural chimney, rescuers have also begun to dig vertically another channel to send messages and materials. "We try to make contact with him," said Eric Zipper. The best solution is to reopen the crossing by removing the rubble. "Aider Olivier Lanet is optimistic about him:" By the weekend, we believe we will get him out. "

Here is some information on the area and tourist caves...
The Caves of France’s Ardèche Gorge

Last edited:
...That article says he could las 3 weeks, which I presume is based on him reaching a ledge above water....?

Not a ledge, but out of the water. It's based on him taking refuge in a sump (an air filled chamber) located at about 1400 meters (4500') penetration.

Keeping him supplied would seem very problematic. From what I can tell, they can only deliver supplies to him through a small opening at the collapse site. Based on the cave profile, it appears that he would have to swim 1800' at a depth of around 200' in order to pick up supplies from the sump side of the collapse. That is a significant dive to have to repeatedly plan and execute with minimal supplies after being in a sump for a week. Each time they make a delivery, they would also need to supply him with more dive gas/gear so that he can make the next trip for supplies.

Just went to the NSS site. Apparently, Erik's body was found this morning. From what I can get out of the translation and my rusty French, he never picked up supplies on Saturday.
What a tragic event and what a horrible death for this poor man.

Last edited:
They are attempting another dive to the collapse area today. Probably to check for communication and to leave supplies. I think they have also been drilling a narrow hole to intercept the sump area from above to allow delivery of food/air. It sounds like they have made it through 30 of the 200 meters of rock so far. Then there seems to be something about excavating near the surface above the sump to connect to a verticle fissure that *might* connect to the sump. That is about all I have been able to understand from the translated news reports and some of that may not be accurate.

Here is the latest translated report from TDS...

Monday, October 11, 2010 - 10:30

Tonight unblocking operations in the GULF loss plate began to yield results. Indeed, after several shootings by means of micro loads d' explosive, the teams of removal of obstructions from Spéléo Secours French sufficiently opened the summit part d' a well to be able s' there to engage. Indeed, after several shots through micro explosive loads, teams off unclogging the Cave Rescue French cuts sufficiently opened the signal share off has well to Be whitebait to get involved. Consequently, the rescuers could descend a first vertical of 20m, followed d' a well of 40m and d' a new well of 20m, leading them to the dimension -90m. Therefore, rescuers were whitebait to get has first vertical 20m, followed by has well 40m and 20m from has new well, leading them to the side-90m. The teams of removals of obstructions currently work on a new stop on étroiture in top of vertical. The teams are currently working one unclogging has off new stop one signal constriction in vertical.

Not far from there, the work of drilling stopped yesterday evening with the depth of -30m took again this morning and must continue all the day. Nearby, the drilling stopped last night At the depth of-30m resumed this morning and should continues throughout the day. Side of the siphon of Dragonnière, preparations for a diving of l' English team in d' beginning; afternoon are in hand. The side off the trap Dragonnière, for preparations has off divine the English TEAM At the beginning off the afternoon is underway. On this part plunged underground one can note, in addition to the active presence of many rescuers and plungers of Spéléo Secours French, very important work related to the divings of point (either those carried out for the moment jusqu' at the point 780m). One this share undermines diving edge Be noted, in addition to the activates presence off many rescuers and various from French Cave Rescue, the very important work related to advanced divine (those made At the moment to not 780m).

A work entrusted since the beginning of the operations with 2 rescuers of the Swiss Spéléo-Help and 4 rescuers whose 3 plungers of British Undermines Rescue Council. Work assigned since the start off various operations to rescue two off Block Caving Switzerland and 4 rescue, including 3 off the British Undermines Rescue Council. All highly qualified and recognized like belonging to the “elites” as part of an international plan as regards diving out of siphon.

Just went to the NSS site. Apparently, Erik's body was found this morning. From what I can get out of the translation and my rusty French, he never picked up supplies on Saturday.
What a tragic event and what a horrible death for this poor man.

Poor guy. I was really hoping he would defy the odds and make it out. Really traggic.

"Still unconfirmed by the Speleo Secours : an announcement was made by the French sous-prefet of Largentiere that the British team was not able to pass through the obstruction, but they were able to see through it and saw Eric’s body on the other side. Apparently Eric drowned."

Last edited:
I was wondering what caused him to drown after all this time?

If he survived this long, he had to have been in an air pocket or dry room from the reports, but he drowned going back to the collapse site.

Maybe he was having to use an air mix that might have been o2 toxic at that depth? (speculation) and was taking the chance because he didn't know of the rescue being mounted from the other side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom