Online certification??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see a problem with online training as long as it covers everything necessary. Aside from scheduling, some people learn better in a class from an instructor and some learn better on their own. But there needs to be an opportunity to ask questions and have things explained at some point and I think the test should be in person not on-line/unmonitored.

And I love my dive computers but I think training should cover more than computers so people at least understand what's going on. Learning only how to use a dive computer sounds like learning to do math only on a calculator.

The only negative I can see in doing the academics online is that you are missing doing the skills as you go. The classes I took and assisted with were always done with a classroom session, then the releated pool session on the same day/evening. The pool sessions ususally had some association to the book work just completed, at least as far as depth of information was concerned, and the instructors always tied the classwork into the briefing for the pool exercises. If you take all the classwork without doing any practical application of the theory, I think you miss out on the positive reinforcement that the pool exercises offer.

Damselfish:
I don't see a problem with online training as long as it covers everything necessary. Aside from scheduling, some people learn better in a class from an instructor and some learn better on their own. But there needs to be an opportunity to ask questions and have things explained at some point and I think the test should be in person not on-line/unmonitored.

And I love my dive computers but I think training should cover more than computers so people at least understand what's going on. Learning only how to use a dive computer sounds like learning to do math only on a calculator.

A major problem with online academic training is that there would be no way for the instructor to gauge how well the student understands the concepts of dive planning, NDL limits, depth limits, residual nitrogen, surface intervals, hydration, etc, before the water training begins. Therefore online academic training should not replace classroom training.

I also cannot imagine a student grasping ADT, RNT, TNT, and surface interval calculations without an actual instructor present, and much trial and error in the classroom process. That makes 2 major problems I can think of with it.

triton94949:
I also cannot imagine a student grasping ADT, RNT, TNT, and surface interval calculations without an actual instructor present, and much trial and error in the classroom process. That makes 2 major problems I can think of with it.
Just because you can't imagine it doesn't mean it's impossible. The concepts are, IMO, brain-dead simple, and I'd be surprised if any of my non-diving friends would have problems grasping it after simply reading my OW manual.

Online courses are not all that different from what a large portion of scuba instructors are doing already.

Many courses are set up these days for self study. You get the Open Water kit (PADI has one, and apparently from what was mentioned earlier by another poster, NAUI does the same), read it on your own, fill out the knowledge reviews and get with an instructor for the quizzes, pool work and open water dives. The days of going to class a couple times a week for several weeks and then having an open water weekend are getting less common. The quizzes and pool work should take a half day to full day or couple half days to complete prior to your open water dives - Just about everyone in Hawaii is set up to train that way, I've heard it's becomming quite common elsewhere too.

I'm not completely up on the online program, but it's probably similar, but on line rather than having a book physically in front of you. Make sure this course is sponsored by a legitimate recognized agency and that you do indeed have an instructor that can finish you off - I know of one self-styled online course out of Arizona which makes claims that everyone will accept it, used to make claims that everyone would give you discounts because of it, etc, that has had legal teams from at least PADI, and I suspect others, who've said this is not the case. If the course you are looking at is the SDI course, you should be able to find someone to finish you off, but make sure first before getting started.

It seems if your friend is only able to do the course where they live, then their bet bet is to hook up with the local instruction and try to make a schedule work. If your friend decides to fininsh their course elsewhere, then there are options to do it on their own schedule, not just online.

Good luck,

mle_osu:
Seems like it would be nice and convienent for the class room work, but are these real? Can one trust getting their certification thru an online class? granted, the pool work and open water dives are not online and are done thru the LDS... but I cant seem to find the actual Agency that certifies the divers... just says "accepted everywhere" and "Our certification is RSTC certified and credited."

friscuba:
Online courses are not all that different from what a large portion of scuba instructors are doing already.

Many courses are set up these days for self study. You get the Open Water kit (PADI has one, and apparently from what was mentioned earlier by another poster, NAUI does the same), read it on your own, fill out the knowledge reviews and get with an instructor for the quizzes, pool work and open water dives.

Just wanted to chime in that SSI also does the take home kits for Open Water and a few other classes. Wreck and Deep are book/dvd's followed by pool and open water work. Nitrox and Search & Rescue still have classroom work though, along with the videos and books.

jonnythan:
Just because you can't imagine it doesn't mean it's impossible. The concepts are, IMO, brain-dead simple, and I'd be surprised if any of my non-diving friends would have problems grasping it after simply reading my OW manual.

I cannot imagine it, from experience.

Programmed learning can only go so far. Even for a budding rocket scientist.

triton94949:
I cannot imagine it, from experience.

Programmed learning can only go so far. Even for a budding rocket scientist.

I teach/train using the self study method. It's been my experience that about 50-60% of the students I get over the age of 13 or so grasp those table concepts just from reading the manual. If I was counting just adults, it jumps to about 75% or higher. Virtually all the rest of them get it generally with only several minutes of interraction with an instructor.

This assumes they actually even try to understand the materials on their own. Those who don't can usually be taught the tables within a short time, but they usually have troubles in other areas too, which makes for a long class (My typical 3 day class has turned into a 5 day on occasion).

later,

I'm an old guy. But I went back to college and got my degree late in life. One course that I needed they didn't offer at my local college. So I had to take a pyschology course on line.

"How hard could that be?", I thought. Well it was not a snap. The teacher was very good but demanding. There was a lot of class participation. So you got to meet everyone and form personal fondness for individuals even though you did not meet them face to face. Try cutting and pasting a 12 page paper.

Anyway as far as scuba goes.... maybe. If you did the pool work. Then on line. Then the open water. Maybe? Personally, scuba is a sport and a hobby. So I rather be in a classroom setting and enjoy the laughter.

In general, most online courses can be monitored by the instructor: How many times it takes for a student to answer a question right, time spent on that question, ...
Each test changes every time it a student takes it, & they are not allowed to go forward until they get 100% correct.
It is not a complete course, it is just a learning tool.
Most recreational agencies have some sort of home study program. Whether it be books, videos, or net based. Some Agencies just keep up with the times better.

In the back of the SDI Open Water manual are the U.S. Navy Dive Tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom