Online Dive Vendors/Dealers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know that actually works!

I've only had two close calls, but both times I thought about "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" where it says in nice, friendly letters "Don't Panic!"

Once you realize you're not dead yet, things get easier to deal with :cool:

Terry

Garyra:
"Don't go anywhere without your towel and DON'T PANIC!" --- Author Dent

TravisT:
This goes with anything, if i was selling burgers for $1.50, and someone else was selling the exact same thing for $1.25, I have to resort to loyal customers for business or lower my prices....

Want to buy some cheap sushi? It's probably OK.

Terry

Web Monkey:
Want to buy some cheap sushi? It's probably OK.

Terry
Not sure I see your point here. A BrandX regulator from any retailer is still made by the same people, to the same standards. If I buy it from the LDS or from www.flybynight.com, it’s the same reg. I don't believe that any reputable reg mfr is going to dump sub-standard products through a web retailer.

awap:
I don't believe that warranty will be very effective in slowing a runaway ascent or remedying air issues with a regulator while underwater. But I would expect it would get the repair done with less out of pocket expense assuming you worked your way through the initial problem.

Good call! Personally, I shop for quality products, and don’t consider the warranty in the process. Any decent quality item is going to outlive it's warranty.

scubatoys:
Yes... Must be over the counter.

Interesting.

I come into your store buy stuff. One time or many times; you sell it to me or someone elese sells it to me, does not matter. I then go on vacation or simply move away, and I call your store and ask you to send me another internet / phone order "restricted" product such as ScubaPro.

And you would tell me you would not sell it to me? That I would have to come back in to get what it was I needed?

And this is the state of retail in scuba land?

You said you would be happy buying a burger based on price. My point was that the other side of the equation is value.

Terry

3dent:
Not sure I see your point here. A BrandX regulator from any retailer is still made by the same people, to the same standards. If I buy it from the LDS or from www.flybynight.com, it’s the same reg. I don't believe that any reputable reg mfr is going to dump sub-standard products through a web retailer.

Web Monkey, you obviously skipped over the 'exact same' part of my post. So if your sushi/burger was cooked 3 day previously, had 1/3 lbs meat slab on it, lettuce, tomato, mayo... ect ect... then the other store would to.

My point wasn't about buying food based on price, it was about buying IDENTICAL products at 2 extremely different prices in most circumstances.

Again, i'm an extreme newbie to scuba diving, so maybe i'm overlooking the benefits of buying from a shop...

But i've only heard really 2 arguments....

1) You are stealing the business's time.

Well, I own a Server Rental company aside from what i do daily. Basically, I have setup servers previously as 'test runs' for FREE. I've had to, at numerous points, work to sell my stuff. Most people look at price, then they look at quality based on the price. If I want to get my servers sold, i have to have prices that beat almost everybody else. And to keep customers, i have to make sure they stay happy by helping them with any issues that might come up. That is the way every business is. If people want my business, they should have to work for it.

2) Warranties

This is probably really where I agree with a lot of people. I have, however, bought numerous things off the internet, including computer hardware, ect. I've had things break and have had to return packages from where I bought it, ect.

There are downsides to buying online, but 9 times out 10, if you are careful where you buy and buy from a well-known online website, you will get what you pay for... whatever that might be.

MVillanueva:
Interesting.

I come into your store buy stuff. One time or many times; you sell it to me or someone elese sells it to me, does not matter. I then go on vacation or simply move away, and I call your store and ask you to send me another internet / phone order "restricted" product such as ScubaPro.

And you would tell me you would not sell it to me? That I would have to come back in to get what it was I needed?

And this is the state of retail in scuba land?

Hate to say it... but yes... Those are their rules. I don't make them, I don't agree with them... I just have to play by them.

Web Monkey:
You're missing the point. the L in LDS is "Local", which means that you can walk through the front door.

It's not your problem that buying online hurts the LDS. It's your problem that it hurts you.

No LDS = No shop to walk into for air fills, classes, parts and accessories that you want "now", service that you would prefer didn't take the time of a round trip via UPS plus shop time, and any number of other things that are impossible/inconvienient when not done in person.

Terry

Look, I love my LDS but I probably save over $1,400 gearing up myself and my wife through Scuba Toys over what I would have paid through my LDS (with much better selection than my LDS too). While I understand the importance of getting a tank filled, if I get 100 tanks filled in a year that's $140.00 per fill since my money is going towards "supporting" my LDS.

Perhaps someone should open up a shop that organizes trips, services equipment, and fills tanks, but doesn't sell gear. Low overhead, no sales people to pay.

Larry, if you take this and start something, I want in!

TravisT:
Just the way I percieve it, the store puts a price tag on their equipment. They know when they do that, however high they mark it up, that they are responsible for competing with other distributors/resellers out there. If someone has the same product, but for $100.00 cheaper, then it is THEIR FAULT that I chose not to purchase from them, not mine.

This goes with anything, if i was selling burgers for $1.50, and someone else was selling the exact same thing for $1.25, I have to resort to loyal customers for business or lower my prices....

No, you could argue that the other place doesn't warantee their french fries, won't provide soda refills, and can't advise you on the correct amount of ketchup to put on your burger.

Not that I care one way ot the other (it's not my money), but $1400/100 is $14, not $140.

Terry

Kestrell:
Look, I love my LDS but I probably save over $1,400 gearing up myself and my wife through Scuba Toys over what I would have paid through my LDS (with much better selection than my LDS too). While I understand the importance of getting a tank filled, if I get 100 tanks filled in a year that's $140.00 per fill since my money is going towards "supporting" my LDS.

Perhaps someone should open up a shop that organizes trips, services equipment, and fills tanks, but doesn't sell gear. Low overhead, no sales people to pay.

Larry, if you take this and start something, I want in!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom