Online Dive Vendors/Dealers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
Not that I care one way ot the other (it's not my money), but $1400/100 is $14, not $140.

Terry

Good thing I don't do math underwater.

Still, I saved a butt-load of $ and have all of my warantees. In fact I just PM'd Larry about the fit of my BC and he is hooking me up with some shorter shoulder straps. He'll ship them to me, I'll try them out and see if I like them and send the others back. Good customer service IS available over the internet; go figure.

I know I'm new, but I just don't get what the debate is about. There are a lot of LDS's around here, some very close to my house, but Scubatoys will get my business. Not just because he may have the cheapest prices, but because he is doing the right thing. I know Scubatoys will be around in 5 years, while most of the others will not. If having huge volume due to Internet sales gives Larry the ability to have a well stocked shop (well stocked even with stuff he can't sell on the Internet) then that benefits me tremendously. If that huge volume also allows him to have the lowest walk in price, that benefits me too.

The other LDS's can make the same decisions as Larry, and adapt, or they will not survive. I have no responsibility to support the dinosaurs when they refuse to evolve. If you don't have an LDS like Scubatoys in your area, why not? The biggest favor you could do for your favorite local shop is to encourage them to adapt and survive. Otherwise they'll be out of business soon no matter how much you personally are willing to overpay.

I realize that the market saturation point on the Internet will be reached long before there is a Scubatoys in every city, but that's OK. There will still be a niche for stores selling stuff you have to buy over the counter and someone will fill this space.

Hopefully I'm not repeating whats already been said. I've put on my nomex undies, and here goes.

If a dive shop is going to survive the next 5 years, it's going to have to understand that it is not primarily a retail sales business, but a Service buisiness. As the computer business learned a decade ago, hardware is a commodity, and centralized, large volume e'tailers will always have internal benefits of scale that no local shop can hope to.

If a future shop has an inventory, it's only there as a specialized service to it's clients. The services that come to mind are training, rental/test dive, repair, and community. A creative owner could probably figure out that their facility might have uses outside diving to augment the revenue from their services business.

Another model which might work is that the LDS, doesn't stock anything other than what the mfg's send for "test driving'". All orders are overnighted to the customer or store. The mfg's can even arrange with some of the carriers to do their actual warehousing and drop ship (HP does this now with UPS)

I'm sorry, but I've been down this road with other markets (computers, books), and this genie ain't going back in the bottle.
It probably means some, otherwise good, stores won't be able to adapt and will shutter

jim

You may also want to take a look at Diveus.com's newest beta site, www.diveusa.com . As ScubaToys mentioned, many online dealers do things right. We are authorized dealers for everything we sell and go out of our way to make things right with the customer. We have a large retail store in San Diego, CA. Feel free to take a look at our local site, www.divecenter.com to view the store. We have about 13,000 square feet including 7000 square feet of sales floor. We also have 4 acres in beautiful Bonita, CA that houses our training facility. I do not believe you have to worry about the goods stores going away anytime soon. They will just adapt...

My take, I would love to support my local dive shops but. First problem they don't have hardly anything in stock, none in my area do. Second you ask them about ordering and you get things like it will take weeks. Third the price in a lot of cases is 2 times what you can get it online. As far as service goes they send it back you pay for shipping and wait weeks. Online you send it back pay for shipping and it comes back delivered to your door, not a big benefit for a dive shop usage.
If dive shops would learn it's better to make 10% on hundreds of sales then 50% on a few sales then we all could be happy they could increase stock and there income.
They seem to live in a stick it to the new certifying diver cause he don't know no better world.
Yea I said it you have all seen it, the newbee comes in takes a class they talk him into $2,500 worth of stuff, I will buy off him on Ebay next year cause he got scared the first dive in open water.

Extreme Exposeure and Seatasea Watersports Center have been good to me. I'm not trying to save a few bucks off the LDS prices, but their selection is limited. If they carried, or even heard of, Halcyon, I'd be there. I used to try to support the local camera shop, but they never had what I wanted, and B&H could have it on my doorstep the next day.

I have been buying from www.scubadiscounters.com. Their sale items are way below anyone else online. They are also authorized dealers, so you get the manufacturer warranty. I also found another store that I just bought a new BC from. www.diveus.com. They don't have their whole inventory online. I emailed them the other day and bought a new 2006 Sherwood Avid BC for $299.
Hope that helps.
I would rather buy from my LDS, but it's tough when I can buy online for less then half their prices from an authorized dealer and I'm saving hundreds of dollars.
Carrie

yukoneer:
Hey all! I am researching extensively for prices, stuff, etc.. I just got my certification and searching all options out there to buy equipment.

So far I have found:

www.scubatoys.com
www.scuba.com
www.leisurepro.com
www.diversdirect.com
www.diveus.com
www.divers-supply.com
www.piratescuba.com
www.123scuba.com
www.scubastore.com

any other suggestions? any other places?

3 of my LDS are ripoffs with prices, i'd save hundreds and hundreds of dollars by ordering online even with shipping.

My local dive shop owner has really tried to make me feel bad about buying my gear from Leisure Pro and says, "If you had bought it from me, I would have thrown in ____ or ____." But prior to buying he stated, "I can't sell for less that MFG, the manufacturers don't like that, but I can throw in a certification." So for one thousand dollars difference, I could maybe get certified in something whether I wanted to or not, OR maybe he WOULD go out of business (all my fault, of course) and I'd never get the perks.... It's $1000 for him or me. A hard decisioin.

Back
Top Bottom